The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   tfo rods..what's the difference? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/103009-tfo-rods-whats-difference.html)

60011006 02-11-2011 02:02 PM

tfo rods..what's the difference?

tfo TiCr vs TiCr X?

i will use in saltwater flats...redfish , trout

Frank Whiton 02-11-2011 03:21 PM

Re: tfo rods..what's the difference?

Hi 60011006,

The difference between the two is primarily the action speed with the X being the fastest action. If it was me I would go for the X but it depends on your casting ability. How well are you casting your 4wt Ascent? If you have trouble casting a fast action rod then go with the TiCr.

Frank

60011006 02-15-2011 02:02 AM

hi frank

naturally i think i cast like a pro....but in truth i got fairly good with the ascent because i was able to fish alot this summer. probably 30 days of actual fishing.

for me, money is not a big factor,,,,,,but if i went with X, would you think my skills would catch up with the rod fairly quickly?

the TiCr series seems to be the most recommended for my objective.
i would imagine fishing it 30-60 days this year. primarily redfish in coastal flats of texas.

nerka 02-15-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60011006 (Post 209755)
hi frank

naturally i think i cast like a pro....but in truth i got fairly good with the ascent because i was able to fish alot this summer. probably 30 days of actual fishing.

for me, money is not a big factor,,,,,,but if i went with X, would you think my skills would catch up with the rod fairly quickly?

the TiCr series seems to be the most recommended for my objective.
i would imagine fishing it 30-60 days this year. primarily redfish in coastal flats of texas.

I have a 9ft 6wt Ticrx with the fighting butt. Love the rod. I would recommend it over the normal model. It is just a touch beefier and I have read somewhere without recalling right now where that the X model is supposed to be better for the salt.

MoscaPescador 02-15-2011 11:32 PM

If you are going to be spending 30 to 60 days on flats, you may enjoy the new BVK over the TiCr and TiCrX models. I have casted the 5, 6, 8, and 9 weight models. The BVK is over an ounce lighter, so your casting arm won't feel as fatigued by the end of the day. The rods can handle the heavy payloads (larger flies, heavier lines) that the other rods can, but the caster does not have to work quite as hard. The butt end feels plenty stiff to handle heavy loads from fish and well executed double hauls. I think that the BVKs rival some premium rods in performance.

The only thing that I dislike about the BVK series is that the 6 weight does not come with a saltwater reel seat and fighting butt, but that is just a personal preference.

MP

Edit: BVK prices are $224.95 for rods sizes 3 to 6 weight and $249.95 for rod sizes 7 to 10 weight.

nerka 02-16-2011 12:29 AM

MP...as usual excellent advice. I finally managed to hold and cast BVK. I would say that the rod is noticably lighter and casts with less fatigue, especially throughout the day. The fishing I do with my Ticrx is generally chucking streamers relatively short distances and I like the extra backbone feel. It is my go to with BVK would hold up to a 15lb coho in the 6wt whereas the Ticrx has held true to literally hundreds of 5-15 salmon.

It also sounds like the BVK isnt quite ideal for salt but there are maintenance methods to deal with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 210297)
If you are going to be spending 30 to 60 days on flats, you may enjoy the new BVK over the TiCr and TiCrX models. I have casted the 5, 6, 8, and 9 weight models. The BVK is over an ounce lighter, so your casting arm won't feel as fatigued by the end of the day. The rods can handle the heavy payloads (larger flies, heavier lines) that the other rods can, but the caster does not have to work quite as hard. The butt end feels plenty stiff to handle heavy loads from fish and well executed double hauls. I think that the BVKs rival some premium rods in performance.

The only thing that I dislike about the BVK series is that the 6 weight does not come with a saltwater reel seat and fighting butt, but that is just a personal preference.

MP

Edit: BVK prices are $224.95 for rods sizes 3 to 6 weight and $249.95 for rod sizes 7 to 10 weight.

BigCliff 02-16-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 210297)

Dead on.

I fish our flats fairly often and a super fast rod is generally a hinderance, because its harder to get a cast off quickly.

You'll frequently be walking a flat with 12' of line out the rod tip and 30' dragging behind you or floating below you. You'll see a cruiser crossing in front of you or a tailing fish and need to get a cast off before the fish disappears. With a super stiff rod, you'll require more false casts or double hauling like a gorilla to create enough flex to feed line out quickly.

If you're standing on the bow of a boat, its often even more of an issue because that massive thing floating near them will frequently spook them quicker. The average cast to a redfish is probably 30' while wading and 50' from a boat.

The TiCR or BVK with matching line, or an overlined TiCR-X or Axiom all work well. The BVK is the lightest of those BY FAR.

fishbummin27514 04-15-2012 12:30 PM

I too am in the market for one of these rods. My buddy just bought a 9' 6 weight BVK for trout, and he loves it. I have takin her for a spin and although I don't think you can beat the price I will stick with my Sage VXP for trout, which if any of you guys have cast it is a beautiful peice of fishing machinery. However, I am looking for a 9' 8 weight for Red Drum and Sea Trout and I am wondering about the fighting capability of the BVK. I have no doubt that it will handle sea trout, however I am wondering about its ability to stand up to 30 inch drum, or false albies or stripers for that matter. Anybody had any experience fighting these fish with a BVK. Also permit, snook, bone's, or mahi on this rod. I would like to find a solid multi saltwater species rod. I am set on an 8 weight because the majority of my fishing will be for reds, trout, and stripers inshore, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

grassonfly 04-15-2012 06:31 PM

id recommend the ticrx it tracks better. better accuracy and it has a soft tip believe it or not. you feel feed the ticrx load. the ticr doesnt have that.