The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM

wateroksnmud will become famous soon enough
Default What rods these days?

Hi guys, new to the forums and it's been about 10 years since I bought my last rod and about 6 since I last fly fished. Getting ready to take the sport back up for life and have some questions about brands, weights, and lengths. I plan to wade in rivers and fish small high altitude back country streams in Colorado. I've been looking at a Scott G2 5wt. Would a 4 be better? What other brands are there these days? I only heard of scott because a buddy told me of them.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What rods these days?

Always difficult to give advice for a rod,the best thing is to try as many as you can and choose the one you feel at ease with.Got a G2 5 wt but use it with a dt 4...I'm a Scott fan but there are lots of great rods Sage,Winston,Redington,Thomas&Thomas.....Greys and Cortland make good rods for the money....Sometimes you can find a great rod at a very low price...got a Quarrow like some other forum members, I bought it for $50 and I love it
Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Well the rod I found on CL is a Scott G2 8'8" 5wt with unfilled registration card for 400$. I'm guessing it's a good buy? Just got the phone, the gentlemens an outfitter in southern CO, and just happens to own two of the same rods so thought he would sell one.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wateroksnmud,

The G2 is a nice rod and many people like the G series of rods. I think most consider the G2 as a finesse rod. The price is good if you like the rod. If you are going to be fishing rivers, the 5wt would be the best choice.

Frank
Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with 10 year old rods. All of mine are older that that.
What do you have now ?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:26 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

8' 8" seems a little long for small stream work. I think you'd be happier in the 7' to 8' range. Between 4 and 5 weight there's probably not much inherent advantage to one over the other for small streams, it depends more on the feel of the particular rods. Re brands, the Great Bay Rod Company's Winding Brook Series series are designed specifically for small streams. The Temple Fork Finesse 7' 9" 4 and 5 weights are also nice small stream rods. I own both of them. This shop has a brand new 5 weight one on sale right now for only $117, a real steal at that price.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Nothing wrong with 10 year old rods. All of mine are older that that.
What do you have now ?
At the moment none. I hade a Sage XP think it was, I know it was a Sage but lost it in a divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The Temple Fork Finesse 7' 9" 4 and 5 weights are nice small stream rods. I own both of them. This shop has a brand new 5 weight one on sale right now for only $117, a real steal at that price. The Great Bay Rod Company's Winding Brook Series series are designed specifically for small streams.
I'll be fishing small streams and rivers.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I am not familiar with Scott rods and like everyone else can only recommend that you cast at least a few rods before purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
8' 8" seems a little long for small stream work. I think you'd be happier in the 7' to 8' range. Between 4 and 5 weight there's probably not much inherent advantage to one over the other for small streams, it depends more on the feel of the particular rods.
I don't agree at all with this sentiment though. The first good rod I ever owned was an Orvis Superfine 7'11" 4WT. After moving West I quickly realized that a short rod is not suitable to many situations. On the contrary, you can fish anything with an 8-6 or 9' rod, small streams, the big water and lakes. I fish my 9' rods everywhere. I would never buy a rod under 8'6", unless of course it is a novelty 1 WT for the smallest of streams and fishes.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateroksnmud View Post
Hi guys, new to the forums and it's been about 10 years since I bought my last rod and about 6 since I last fly fished.
Dude, welcome back.

Quote:
Getting ready to take the sport back up for life and have some questions about brands, weights, and lengths.
It looks like some have chimbed in. You'll notice that there are different opinions. If you don't get a satisfactory reply, see a local outfitter who may regularly fish some of the waters that you intend to fish. Actually you should visit a local outfitter anyways. Since you will be spending some hard earned money, you may as well cast a few rods. The one that feels best for you is the one you want.

Quote:
I plan to wade in rivers and fish small high altitude back country streams in Colorado.
I'm not sure if my opinion will help since I am in California, but I will try my best.

Quote:
I've been looking at a Scott G2 5wt.
That's a beautiful casting stick if you prefer a moderate action rod.

One of the realities is that you should choose a rod based off the action you prefer, the various types of waters and conditions that you may encounter, and the flies and presentations that you intend to deliver.

Quote:
Would a 4 be better?
What kind of flies and presentations do you intend to deliver?

Quote:
What other brands are there these days? I only heard of scott because a buddy told me of them.
Scott makes beautiful sticks. So do other brands. Jbbfly mentioned some other brands.

MP
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 PM

MP, where abouts are you from? All of the fishing I did growing up was in the desolation wilderness and Tahoe NF. Just moved to CO a few years ago. I had to give up fishing while I was in the military.