The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Hoser41 is on a distinguished road
Default Another newbie question

Just got a y first rod a Albright A5 5wt... Now I am planing for my second. Going to go to Alaska to fish...For what you ask...many different thing but in the river we will be seeing Silvers, Dolly Vardon and steelhead...so they say. Well we will be using spinning reels and if we want we can bring fly rods. I might bring one...What size is the question..thinking 7 or 8 wt. I will have opportunities to fish steelhead and maybe salmon near my house as well....Any ideas on size of rod and reel...And also any GOOD deals out there for those..
Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Another newbie question

I use a 7wt. for silvers with no problem. I live here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Hoser41 is on a distinguished road

Great...what's it like in Kodiak, Larsen Bay, in September...what can I except.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Hoser41,

I have been to Kodiak Island many times fishing and hunting bears. Unfortunately it was always in the Spring. My hunting and fishing partner lived in Kodiak for several years. We used an 8wt and it was never too much rod except for Grayling.

No matter what time you go to Kodiak you have to count on rain. So a good rain jacket/suite, that is Gortex, would be my first thing to buy. You wont have any snow in September but it is one of the rainiest months. There is an airport in the area but you lodge or guide will have to provide transportation to and from the airport. I don't remember any fishing close to Larsen Bay so you must use a boat or float plane to get to the fishing. Since you mentioned Steelhead you will probably fly over to Karluk Lake or down the river. That is not much of a flight from Larsen Bay. You outfitter will tell you what gear you need to take. I know that Larsen Lodge will pick you up at the Airport.

While Larsen Bay is an active community you need to think about your safety if you will be going any where in boats or planes. Buy a Magnesium Fire starter like in the picture or a good match safe. I like the Magnesium Fire Starter because it will work even if wet. Don't go any where with out it in your pocket with a good knife. Keep in mind that this is a wild area and your boat can break down or your plane can crash. That potential is not high but it happens more than it should. Then your guide could get seriously ill or hurt and you have to fend for him and your self. Practice making a fire before you go to Alaska. I flew a lot in my work and I always had my Mag Starter, a knife, some parachute cord and a couple of candy bars on my person. Don't put this in a bag in the back of the plane. You may have to abandon the plane and not have time to get your bag. Always ask the pilot if he has emergency gear on board and where it is located. Also ask how to operate the Emergency Locater Transmitter.

Another thought is to get you a personal locater like the Spot. If all of your travel is by boat it won't have a ELT like a plane has.

Frank

Magnesium Fire Starter
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would buy an 8wt over a 7. It will do better with heavy sinking lines/heads, cast heavy flies better, and be a better match for largemouth and striped bass in the California delta. Its also ideal to take for Bonefish or Redfish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Why not get both? At Albright's pricing scheme, you may as well have a backup rod. All the responses above are valid. Hardyreels who fishes that region, is comfortable recommending a 7 weight. BigCliff has valid reasons for other uses. You could find plenty of uses for an 8 weight.

If you can only have one reel, put an 8 weight line on it to fish both rods. A 7 weight can throw an 8 weight line easily although it will feel slower than it would with a 7 weight line. But a 7 weight may not flex an 8 weight.

Keep in mind that on trips, gear breaks. You could break a rod fighting a fish. You could break a rod by accidently sticking the tip between moving ceiling fan blades. It's important to have a backup rod just in case something happens on your trip. You don't want your fishing to end because you don't have a backup.

MP

PS... It looks like that you and I live in the same region. I'm sure that we have fished some of the same waters.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough

A 7 or 8 wt will work no problem on most of the fish here. I personally use a 8 wt for most of the bigger salmon and a 4wt for smaller salmon and trout. I live here and both the 7 and 8wt have their fans...you should be alright with either one you choose.