The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 PM

josey is on a distinguished road
Default good dry fly rod

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Got a question. I'm making my first trip to Yellowstone National Park this year, and i'm looking for a good dry fly rod that can still cast a small bugger. I'v looked at a tfo pro, and a sage flight but have not tested any. Have not done much dry flying, mainly streamer fishing. Any info would be much help.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good dry fly rod

Hi Josey,
Be ready to get plenty of opinions on this. Since you mentioned the TFO Pro and the Sage Flight, I will assume that you are trying to stay within the low to mid price points. If you wish my opinion on premium rods, I can do that at another time.

I am going to assume that you are looking at 4, 5, or 6 weights.

I'll start with the two rods that you mentioned. The TFO Pro Series rods flex more towards the middle which makes it a good dry rod. This will help with the presentation. You can still throw a smaller non-weighted bugger with it. The Sage Flight flexes more towards the tip making it a better nymph and streamer rod. You can still toss a dry fly, but the presentation may not be as good compared to a softer rod.

A couple of rods that you may want to look at that may be able to do both presentations well are the Scott A3 and the Winston Vapor. The Scott A3 is a medium fast action rod that has presents dries nicely, but it still has enough zing to throw semi-weighted buggers well. The Winston Vapor is a fast action rod that is soft enough to toss a dry fly nicely.

My best advice for you is to cast the rods for yourself. The one that feels best in your hands is the one you want. I'm sure that you and I don't share the same casting stroke.

MP

Edit: MnFlyFish owns a TFO Pro 4 weight. He can chimb in how it fishes. I have only casted it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 AM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

While I have not had any personal experience with these rods, I know that Ross worldwide rods are very good for the price. I witnessed a casting competition with several guides (guides I highly respect) a couple of weeks back. The competition involved casting to some hula hoops at different distances with upper tier rods and the ross worldwide FS and FW rods. Long story short, more of the guides (there were six people in the competition) scored higher with the Ross rods than other rods that are twice the price.

Ross is new at the fly rod business, so I can't speak to their warranty, customer service, et al. I will say that I think you will see them grab a significant portion of the market share for low to mid rod sales if these rods are as good as the guides were saying they were.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Like MP mentioned, I just purchased the TFO Pro 4wt 8'. In my opinion it casts dries very well, from 12s to 18s and some beetles and ants. I still have a hard time with the weighted nymphs, but i am sure it is me and not the rod. TFO has a great warranty. if it breaks, for whatever reason, they will repair or replace for $25. Thats like full coverage with a low low deductible! I went to flyshopcloseouts.com and got mine. I liked the reel that came with it, the redington CD 3/4. You can get the whole schmeel, with backing and Airflo wf f line for $208.50 shipped. The reel in its day was a $120 reel( they dont make it anymore, it was replaced with the 'rise', wich is a bit lighter)
But you would also benefit from going to a local fly shop and test casting different rods, 'cuz what casts well for me may feel like a broom handle to you. Sage makes a great rod, and seems to be the most popular with the masses. Orvis makes a good rod, with a great warranty. The St. Croix Avid has gotten some good reviews. Like DryFlyGuy stated, Ross is quickly becoming popular.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Thank's for the feedback guys.

My fly fishing experience has been with #9 rods (redingtons) in northern canada, where i live, fishing big water bodies. Up here there's no fly shops closer than 8 hours, so i don't get a chance to really try them. I'll just order one or wait till i go to the states. Definately going with a 4 or 5 weight.

Just wanted to here what you guys are using for a baseline.

Thank's again.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Take a look at the TFO Finesse rods. I have a 4wt, 7' 9". They also offer an 8' 9". The 6wt casts very nicely (though I haven't fished one). Casting in close is easy, and putting out lots of line is no problem. The warranty is great, and they get your rod back to you very quickly. One week in my case (my fault).
Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

If you are not afraid of eBay.. There are several Winston's going cheap.. My bet is if you watch for a while you can get a light weight killer dry fly rod from eBay as cheap as you are going to spend for the TFO's. Also, look for them as well. I have seen a few Scott G's selling affordable as well as S2's.

My opinion.. I felt Winston IIX was wonderful for a dry rod. And I think it would be stiff enough to throw a bugger... However, I don't think it would work all that well with heavy tandem rigs.

Good luck and have fun with all the oppiniions in the world. I would also suggest a 3, 4 or 5 piece rod stapped to your back to make sure it travels with you and not the baggage handler at the airport. :*O

CritterGetter
Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
While I have not had any personal experience with these rods, I know that Ross worldwide rods are very good for the price. I witnessed a casting competition with several guides (guides I highly respect) a couple of weeks back. The competition involved casting to some hula hoops at different distances with upper tier rods and the ross worldwide FS and FW rods. Long story short, more of the guides (there were six people in the competition) scored higher with the Ross rods than other rods that are twice the price.

Ross is new at the fly rod business, so I can't speak to their warranty, customer service, et al. I will say that I think you will see them grab a significant portion of the market share for low to mid rod sales if these rods are as good as the guides were saying they were.
I second the recommendation for Ross Worldwide's Essence FS rod. Two of my nephews and their wives visited us in the Poconos last Fall. None of them had fly fished before. I set each of them up with a Ross Worldwide starter package (a recommendation from my local fly shop); which included a 9'0" Essence FS rod. I was impressed with the quality and the castability of that rod. It has a very easy and accomodating med-fast action, can easily throw tight loops, gets the fly out there in a hurry and has good feel for a fish when your setting the hook and playing/landing it. For the money, I think it has to be one of the best starter rods out there. I let one of them use my 9'0" Z-Axis 5 wt./Abel Super 5N setup or about an hour, while I "played" with the Essence rod and the reel/line that came with it. I was impressed with the rod (and I'm a big Sage/Winston fan!).

Now, for going to Yellowstone, where the winds can really get up there; particulary if you're going to fish the Lamar River, I would probably recommend a stiffer rod; either a 5 wt. or 6wt. 9'0"er. But, there are a lot of people on this forum who fish the Yellowstone rivers regularly and they will be able to provide you with better feedback than I can on the gear to have with you when fishing that particular area.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I've had a cnace to fish a lot of the rods in this price range, and most are good. As mentioned above, you could pick up a winston green rod on ebay for a good deal, but I wouldn't buy a winston rod without the warranty.

Sage Flight and Launch: My pick in this price range would be the flight. The reason being is that it has a quick action, yet it is still sensitive. I own a sage launch in an 8'6 5 weight, and its a good rod, but the feel isn't as good as the flight.

TFO Pro: This rod seems to stiff to me to be a really effective dry fly rod, I've never fished one, so don't consider what I've wrote to be 100%, thats just what I've gathered from casting them and wiggling them at fly shops.

1.Sage Flight
2.Sage Launch
3. TFO Pro
4. St Croix Avid ( I don't think the action will be quick enough for the high winds (possibly) you'll encounter in yellowstone.
5. TFO Finesse (Same as the Avid)

Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Looked at scott and winstons on the web today for the first time, look like very nice pieces, no shortage for selection on ebay.

All my rods are redingtons, but have not tried any in a lower weight. They all seem to have fast actions. Anyone ever try the rs4,cps or cpx in a 4 weight. I would like to try a different brand even thought reds have been good to me.

The problem with today is, there are just to many darn options for rods. I think if i lived in the states, i"d have way to many rods(which ain't a bad thing) and my wife would sell them to pay for the divorce.

Thank's again guys. If i get the chance, i'll try some of these rods out.