The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 AM

damato1969co is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a 3wt, any advice?

What kind of application are you looking for exactly? I tend to go for a slower rod when i get out anything below a 5wt. Especially using alot of small dries. I second the choice on the St. Croix Imperial, great rod for the price but also check out Elkhorn. Another good price point and pretty nice rods. Just built the Nomad series 8' 3wt and I like it alot.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

Grey's makes a nice XF2 Streamflex rod you can find ranging from $249 to $289. The Winston Passport is a great rod for $199 and they offer a 7'6" and 8', 3 weight. It might be your best option for a new rod at a competitive price range. The Redington CT and St. Croix Avid are also moderate action fly rods that you could find in a 3 weight.

You would be hard pressed to find a new, discountinued Winston BIIX 8'6", 3 weight. There may not be many left other than on ebay. If you spot a new one in the mid $400 range you would be lucky.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
I have a Greys GS2 -- 7'6", 3wt-- that I am happy with. They sell on ebay from about 100 to 115. Certainly worth looking at if local shop stocks them...
What kind of action does the GS2 have?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
If you can get your hands on a used Sage SLT, Winston BIIX or a very modest Albright A5( probably the most reasonable on student tax bracket) you'll really like them.
You just put SLT and BIIX on his list that includes 100-150 fly rods...huh?!

Anyways...Still haven't made a decision yet? What have you had the opportunity to cast so far, anything? I'm still waiting to put my hands on one of the Redington CT's but until I do, the TFO Finesse is still my favorite cheap-mid priced rod. I own 2 of them, but not in a 3 wt. I have a 4, and 5.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Have you talked to Justin, ALLEN, about his 7.5' 3wt NANO Ti? Good price for
members & several who have received them seem well satisfied. Also puts you into the newest technology in rods.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
You just put SLT and BIIX on his list that includes 100-150 fly rods...huh?!

Anyways...Still haven't made a decision yet? What have you had the opportunity to cast so far, anything? I'm still waiting to put my hands on one of the Redington CT's but until I do, the TFO Finesse is still my favorite cheap-mid priced rod. I own 2 of them, but not in a 3 wt. I have a 4, and 5.
haha working on it. I've casted the TFO Pro & Signature, and St. Croix Imperial. Haven't casted the CT either, but it's next on the list. So far, I like the imperial the best. I'll have to look at the finesse, the shop I was at was out of them at the time. Must be a hot rod!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Have you talked to Justin, ALLEN, about his 7.5' 3wt NANO Ti? Good price for
members & several who have received them seem well satisfied. Also puts you into the newest technology in rods.

Good luck.
I looked online. Says they're sold out? I have a big trip coming up to the native streams and creeks in north GA so I'd like to have it before then. I hear he's got a long list of preorders to take care of first. I'm trying to get a reel from him though.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM

Location: toledo ohio but have a place in michigan by the maple river
24links24 is on a distinguished road

this wont help ya much but i saw a 6ft 3wt that split into two peices at the midwest fly expo dont know who had it i thought it was neat that would be my choice
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_throw_bugs View Post
haha working on it. I've casted the TFO Pro & Signature, and St. Croix Imperial. Haven't casted the CT either, but it's next on the list. So far, I like the imperial the best. I'll have to look at the finesse, the shop I was at was out of them at the time. Must be a hot rod!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I looked online. Says they're sold out? I have a big trip coming up to the native streams and creeks in north GA so I'd like to have it before then. I hear he's got a long list of preorders to take care of first. I'm trying to get a reel from him though.
--------------------------
I would call him anyway. Never know what he might have available.