The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Looking for a 3wt, any advice? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/104333-looking-3wt-any-advice.html)

i_throw_bugs 02-14-2011 08:07 PM

Looking for a 3wt, any advice?

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a 3wt to get those little trout streams and creeks. I've been looking at some of the TFO (Finesse, Professional, and Signature), St. Croix (Imperial), and Orvis (Clearwater II) rods. I'm a college student, so the funds are limited. The Imperial Series, Finesse, and Clearwater II are the highest I'd go. I'm looking to cast them all before I make a choice. However, does anyone have other suggestions to try? Thanks in advance.

racine 02-14-2011 08:17 PM

Re: Looking for a 3wt, any advice?

If you can get your hands on a used Sage SLT, Winston BIIX or a very modest Albright A5( probably the most reasonable on student tax bracket) you'll really like them.

cattech89 02-14-2011 08:31 PM

Hey there Bugs and welcome,
Check this review out. I think that the Redington CT would be a good choice for your small stream rod. Price is nice and warranty is great. I don't know what kind of action you're looking for but the CT has more of a moderate action. Definitely recommend casting as many as you can though.

mcnerney 02-14-2011 09:52 PM

With your current limited funds situation, I'd look on EBay, you will be amazed at the deals on almost new condition rods you can find.

Larry

nerka 02-14-2011 11:56 PM

Do your research, but I have enjoyed the heck out of my TFO Finesse. 7'9" 3wt.

i_throw_bugs 02-15-2011 07:09 AM

Thank you all for the tips. I've been researching a good bit, now its just a matter of how they feel in my hand. I didn't even think to check ebay, so thanks!

axle27 02-15-2011 07:34 AM

If you are slim on funds (and most of us are)...consider a LaCrosse Axis II fly rod. I got a 6'6" 2pc 3wt for about $60. I use it strictly for small stream brookie fishing and I really like it.

ausablebrown 02-15-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerka (Post 209710)

THe only thing about TFO that I don't like is this. Somehow in the course of offering 10 different rods in 250 sizes, they don't have a 3 wt shorter than 7'9 in any of their offerings. No 6'6", 7', or 7'6" 3 or 4 wts available. I don't know who fishes with the longer 3 wts, but from what I have cast, a 3 wt is sweetest at 7 ft. I love the finesse action, but I got it in 4 and 5 wt, and ultimately went elsewhere for my small stream 3 wt. If you can live with 7'9" then the finesse is a great rod; if you want shorter, try the CT or the Imperial, or the winston passport.

And if you do e-bay, your $200 or less budget will get you a premium rod if you take a little time to look. I'm not sure if you'll get a BIIX like someone suggested, but you could definitely jump up a bracket. I get most of my rods on E-bay and for 200 you can get the following rods: St Croix Legend, Winston vapor, Sage fli, flight, vantage, VT2 (discontinued), Redington CPX, Scott A2 (discontinued) or used Scott a3. There are alot of options for 200 if you are considering used or discontinued on E-Bay.

trout333 02-15-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerka (Post 209710)

nerka, what is the action on that rod? Its a little slower isn't it? Does that make it easier to fight some of the bigger fish? How about casting?

nerka 02-15-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trout333 (Post 209828)
nerka, what is the action on that rod? Its a little slower isn't it? Does that make it easier to fight some of the bigger fish? How about casting?

I can cast 50ft with accuracy without much effort. When I double haul I might get another 15ft.

It is a moderate action rod and it works just fine for what I need it to do.

Bigger fish, well I have caught a 40in pike on it, and quite a few pink salmon. The pinks were in faster water and brought me down to the backing but it was a hoot.