The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

tttr83 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Buying a New Rod

Hi everyone,

I just broke my old Shakespeare 8 footer in a stream. It was OK. But the line sagged in places and it didn't have a hook holder. Anyway, I was looking to get an inexpensive good replacement on a budget. I'm a student and I really didn't want to spend much on a new rod. I have a pfleuger medalist reel and I think thats a solid piece of equipment that I'll keep for a while. I was really split between Cabela's Three Forks and Redington's Crosswater. But a friend of mine suggested I spend a little more for a rod with a lifetime warranty. I really would like to try out a rod before I use it to make sure if feels right, but unfortunately there isn't a cabela's near by. I s'pose I could just return it with their satisfaction guarantee. Anyway, so at the upper end of my price limit which I've decided is right around $100 is a three way tie between the Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Series, St. Croix Triumph, and Redington Red Fly 2. I wanted your opinions about the lower two without lifetime warranties and the upper three. The one downside with the 8 foot TFO is it's a 4 weight not a 5 weight. I was used to a 6/7 weight so I'd prefer something with a little more beef. Thanks for your help.

- Carlos
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie Buying a New Rod

The Three Forks rod is the only rod I have ever owned or used, so based on that I really like it. As a student the price tag was just right and so far its done everything I've wanted it too.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Hook&Hackle Classic 6wt has a lifetime warranty and is 50% off ($50) right now.
I've never tried one myself but Ron, the shop owner, makes it his business to steer newbies in the right direction
Hook & Hackle Classic Series Fly Rod / 5/6 Wt.-Hook and Hackle

You may want to put the Albright A-5 on your list too.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

You may want to put the Albright A-5 on your list too.
How is the GP? I think the A-5 is too much out of my price range...
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I would echo what Rip Tide said about Hook and Hackle. I've never cast the rod they have for under $50...but all of there stuff is quality...so for the price you can't go wrong. Your medalist might be too heavy to balance a 5wt rod...if so you've still got money to get a reel too.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttr83 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just broke my old Shakespeare 8 footer in a stream. It was OK. But the line sagged in places and it didn't have a hook holder. Anyway, I was looking to get an inexpensive good replacement on a budget. I'm a student and I really didn't want to spend much on a new rod. I have a pfleuger medalist reel and I think thats a solid piece of equipment that I'll keep for a while. I was really split between Cabela's Three Forks and Redington's Crosswater. But a friend of mine suggested I spend a little more for a rod with a lifetime warranty. I really would like to try out a rod before I use it to make sure if feels right, but unfortunately there isn't a cabela's near by. I s'pose I could just return it with their satisfaction guarantee. Anyway, so at the upper end of my price limit which I've decided is right around $100 is a three way tie between the Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Series, St. Croix Triumph, and Redington Red Fly 2. I wanted your opinions about the lower two without lifetime warranties and the upper three. The one downside with the 8 foot TFO is it's a 4 weight not a 5 weight. I was used to a 6/7 weight so I'd prefer something with a little more beef. Thanks for your help.

- Carlos
Carlos,
First of all, go Aggies (UCD class '95)! You have three independent shops in the Sacramento area, an Orvis shop in Roseville, and some big box sporting goods stores that have TFO and Loomis.

In regards to your rod, what makes you want to choose an 8 footer? Where are you fishing? What kind of fish are you targeting? Are you targeting some of those big Putah trout? Are you targeting bass and carp in the lower stretches of Putah?

MP
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Mostly trout. I felt my 7 weight I got from my dad's garage was a little on the heavy side and I really should have went with a 5 weight. So, here's my chance to start over. He ended up buying a Hobbs Creek outfit from Bass Pro some weeks ago and broke his tip first trip out. I tried it. It was meh. Thanks for you're help.

GO AGS!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A 9 foot 5 weight is the standard size rod for Northern California. It's long enough for good line control, but not too long that it would be a hinderance in the bush. It's heavy enough for those large Putah Creek trout, but light enough for Sierra streams.

There are three good shops in the Sacramento area. I am confident that you could find a rod at any one. Google search for more info on the shops.
American River Fly Fishing Company
Kiene's Fly Shop
Fly Fishing Specialties

Good luck with your search.

MP
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks. I got a TFO 5 weight 2 piece 8 and a half footer from Kienes. Felt WAAAY better than the Shakespeare I had.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttr83 View Post
Thanks. I got a TFO 5 weight 2 piece 8 and a half footer from Kienes. Felt WAAAY better than the Shakespeare I had.
Congrats on the purchase. Bill and Marilyn are great people. Even though I don't shop them as often as I used to, thank you for supporting a local business. Enjoy your rod.

MP