The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Scott G2 Choices

Hi-

I have just enough left over from work-related bonus to pick up some new rods. I've decided on the Scott G2 for in the 7'7" 3-weight and the 8'4" 5-weight flavors. Anyone out there fish these 2 rods? How do they fish? Wondering how the 3-weight is going to preform on some of the smaller water I fish here in the northeast.

Thanks for your opinions and information!

-S
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scott G2 Choices

I would make sure to cast that 3wt first to be sure. I'm one to think that is about the perfect length for a 3wt, and I think I may have cast that one and was surprised I didn't like it better. It was super delicate and all, but really wimped out quick. I may have cast a different model, but just wanted to thrown that out there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Everytime there's a thread about Scott,Big's here(Big we'll get a free rod ...one day!)
I'm a Scott fan too,but as I've already said on the forum I always use 9 or 9,5 ft rods even in small waters.I use my G2 905 with a 4 or 3 line without problem same with my G955 they're great for dapping,rollcasting and crossbow casting when necessary.I've never tried a 3 wt but I think I wouldn't like it...
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I really like the 7'7" 3 weight from Scott in their G2, but to tell you the truth, I feel that the Winston WT 3 weight in a similar length would out-preform the scott.

BUT in the 5 weight, the G2 is a great rod. It has lots of power, but is one of the best finesse rods on the market. It can handle dries down to 24's, and big wooly buggers as well. One of the best all around rods.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
I really like the 7'7" 3 weight from Scott in their G2, but to tell you the truth, I feel that the Winston WT 3 weight in a similar length would out-preform the scott.
The 7'9" 3wt Winston LT is easily my favorite rod of theirs. Its a perfect small stream rod when no heavy flies or nymphing rigs are needed.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I would make sure to cast that 3wt first to be sure. I'm one to think that is about the perfect length for a 3wt, and I think I may have cast that one and was surprised I didn't like it better. It was super delicate and all, but really wimped out quick. I may have cast a different model, but just wanted to thrown that out there.
You mentioned that it "wimped out quick". What specifically didn't you like about it? Line-speed too low? Didn't cast as far as you like? Too "noodley"?

Yea, I have to agree 7'7" does seem like the perfect length for a small-stream rod. Short enough to get under overhanging branches but long enough to "dap" flies in pockets.

-S
Old 07-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

It was perfect as can be up to about 30-35', but after that it seemed to fold in the butt as I pushed it out further. I know its not designed to throw 50+, but it just got flimsy too quick.

For reference, I'm more of a muscle caster than timing master. I like the Scott G's and G2's because their action is so similar to my go to rod, a Sage VPS Light 9' 4wt, built on the LL blank. For trout fishing, I like rods that flex enough to throw 15' casts well when needed, but can go 70'+ as well.

I think I'm saying the 490 LL taper has me spoiled for life.

The only 3wt I've been super thrilled with (and able to afford) is the TFO Pro 8'6" model. Its likely longer and faster than you're after, but is a sweet stick for the money. If aesthetics aren't your primary concern, I'd give TFO's 7'9" 3wt in their Finesse series a try. Heard nothing but good things on that one.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Please keep in mind it may be the 8'4" model that I tried.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Going back to your original post, if you like the Scott G2, you wont be dissapointed with either rod IMO.

I would consider the Winston BIIX 8'6 in a 3 weight as well, And if you still like the medium action with some power, the NEW Boron IIt is a beautiful rod for small water, the best new finesse rod on the market...again...IMO.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Hi-

I have just enough left over from work-related bonus to pick up some new rods. I've decided on the Scott G2 for in the 7'7" 3-weight and the 8'4" 5-weight flavors. Anyone out there fish these 2 rods? How do they fish? Wondering how the 3-weight is going to preform on some of the smaller water I fish here in the northeast.

Thanks for your opinions and information!

-S
I love my G2 9' 5w.

My bet is, if you are looking for small water Scott Rods, the Scott "Zealots" will tell you nothing is better than a 3wt G at 7 and 8 feet. I tried the G and it didn't work for me nymph fishing at all.

Tight lines
CritterGetter