The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 08:46 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: 5 weight gw griggs 8'

Joni & Curtis. Agreed on all you've said and it may be that I need to clarify a few things just to be sure. Looking back over my original post I see where it may have come across a bit jaded.

My intention was not at all to cast judgement on anyone (those who buy high or low end). It's clear that I'm still getting into the sport (I've fished for about five years, tied about four, and enjoy both -- only regretting I haven't yet been able to devote more time doing them). I have friends who fish various rods and I think I've been able to see that there are many kinds of rods, many folks, and all kinds of fits between the two as Curtis suggests. I get it. No doubt as I have more time to devote and a little more experience I'll be able to answer the question for myself as skill and preference are refined.

My curiosity was regarding differences that justify price jumps. If they are there, what they are (e.g. performance, workmanship, etc.) Seems there is to a degree as it relates to casting, quality of blanks, guide placement, warranty, etc. as you have mentioned Joni.As far as a "dig me" thing goes, I'm sure if it is there it is a function of the person, not the rod. For example, I would guess it's one thing to purchase a higher end rod for a specific purpose, feel, need, etc. and because these aspects justify the price paid versus the buy-to-brag thing that may happen as well. No, I don't not assume all those who make the decision for a nice rod are snobs Joni . And not all who have not/cannot -- yet -- made such a purchase are judgmental and envious. Okay . . . I am envious . . . but patiently look forward to a day when I can speak to both sides of the issue m'self.TJ
Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: 5 weight gw griggs 8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Rowden
Joni & Curtis. Agreed on all you've said and it may be that I need to clarify a few things just to be sure. Looking back over my original post I see where it may have come across a bit jaded.

My intention was not at all to cast judgement on anyone (those who buy high or low end). It's clear that I'm still getting into the sport (I've fished for about five years, tied about four, and enjoy both -- only regretting I haven't yet been able to devote more time doing them). I have friends who fish various rods and I think I've been able to see that there are many kinds of rods, many folks, and all kinds of fits between the two as Curtis suggests. I get it. No doubt as I have more time to devote and a little more experience I'll be able to answer the question for myself as skill and preference are refined.

My curiosity was regarding differences that justify price jumps. If they are there, what they are (e.g. performance, workmanship, etc.) Seems there is to a degree as it relates to casting, quality of blanks, guide placement, warranty, etc. as you have mentioned Joni.As far as a "dig me" thing goes, I'm sure if it is there it is a function of the person, not the rod. For example, I would guess it's one thing to purchase a higher end rod for a specific purpose, feel, need, etc. and because these aspects justify the price paid versus the buy-to-brag thing that may happen as well. No, I don't not assume all those who make the decision for a nice rod are snobs Joni . And not all who have not/cannot -- yet -- made such a purchase are judgmental and envious. Okay . . . I am envious . . . but patiently look forward to a day when I can speak to both sides of the issue m'self.TJ
I did not think you were speaking judgmentally at all. No issue there.

I think there are those who snub others because they have cool rods. I personally would just not like to fish with such people. I know though many who fish with super sweet sticks who also don't feel a superiority complex for it.

I was on another board where this guy was just blabbing on and on about his super neato super expensive rod. I just kind of though; SO WHAT? But that is his issue. I have fished next to people who can use a twenty dollar cheapy like a magic wand. It is all in what you enjoy. If you like bamboo and can afford it, enjoy yourself.

If you like the lower end rods but are also having a good time, then that too is great.

I just figure this is fishing and there are more important things then to worry about who has what and if my logo speaks for me. I would rather let my cast do that and worry more about what the fish think.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni
Curtis, you said exacttly what I was hoping for, thank you. Be comfortable and it will be more fun. Right on. You are right in the point that more of the high end are catering to distance. I absolutly love the Streamdance GLX, but it is fast.Guess that is why we are building glass rods, slow like us LOL!We need to respect EVERYONE from the $29. to the $2,000+ EQUALLY!Kinda like riding a moped or a Harley, both put the wind and the bugs in your face.
Exactly. And I know what you mean about slowing down your rod as you age. It seems every year I am looking more forward to a slower and slower rod. Don't want my rod to be faster then I am! LOL!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

the only thing that i'll say about the price of a rod is this: everyone on here has said buy a good one with a warranty. one good rod is worth the money compared to a cheaper one without a warranty.

had a guy break a cheap spinning rod on my boat last week. his more expensive rod held up. after breaking it i watched him grab it up and with little or no effort at all he broke it again. over the years i've broke many a cheap spinning rods. always put the money into the reels. over time though i've started buying more expensive rods. been lucky haven't had to replace a conventinal rod in over 10 yrs.

just like everything else you get what you pay for.