The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default 5 weight gw griggs 8'

cliff suggested i try a shorter number 5 to get inbetween my 5wt 9 foot and my 3 wt 7 1/2 foot tfo rod.. for 45 dollars i thought id try the gw griggs 8 foot with my 5 weight line that i had to save on a complete number 4 wt setup... it sets right inbetween the 3 wt 7 foot,and 7 weight 9 foot rods for feel, weight and stiffness.. i really like it.. im kind of embarraseed that i got such a cheap rod, but i just wanted to try the shorter 5x 8 foot weight to see if i should get a better rod.. but it works great, in the yard anyway, rolls ok, casts fine (except several pops in the back of the head..)) is there anything wrong with a cheap rod that fills the slot like this?? its hard to say how much happier id be with a 300 dollar rod?? any comments welcome.. dave..
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: 5 weight gw griggs 8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffg
cliff suggested i try a shorter number 5 to get inbetween my 5wt 9 foot and my 3 wt 7 1/2 foot tfo rod.. for 45 dollars i thought id try the gw griggs 8 foot with my 5 weight line that i had to save on a complete number 4 wt setup... it sets right inbetween the 3 wt 7 foot,and 7 weight 9 foot rods for feel, weight and stiffness.. i really like it.. im kind of embarraseed that i got such a cheap rod, but i just wanted to try the shorter 5x 8 foot weight to see if i should get a better rod.. but it works great, in the yard anyway, rolls ok, casts fine (except several pops in the back of the head..)) is there anything wrong with a cheap rod that fills the slot like this?? its hard to say how much happier id be with a 300 dollar rod?? any comments welcome.. dave..
Embarrassed? WHY?

The WW GRIGG rod is a great stick. I imagine that you have the GX rod? They are very nice casting rods.

Don't worry about how much a rod costs. If it feels good in your hand and you can catch fish with it, then there is no problem. I would imagine that the fish could care less how much you spend.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:43 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

yes the gx 5 8 foot.. they have the 7'6" in stock also.. maybe ill try them both, they are centainly cheap enough to try.. thanks again for saving me a bundle.. this is the only 5 weight under 9 foot in town.. probably cheap enough for the dealer to stock all the sizes and weights.. your idea of changing lenghts instead of weights sure does the trick for filling in the lightweight gaps i have, (had), and i dont have to buy a bunch of reels and lines... i also suspect the 5 weight will roll over the float and woolly bugger better, than a 4 weight.. .... thanks.. dave
Old 04-16-2006, 02:41 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bunch of rods with one in the $189. price range and rest over $300. each and I bought the 6ft 3wt. WW Griggs for the small creeks around here. Doesn't cast the greatest but I can sling shop flies under bridges with trees all around me with it. $29. Wahoo!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

don't feel bad about buying and using a cheap rod. i started out with one. didn't want to spend hundreds on a good rod and reel just to find out i didn't like the sport.

as being still new to the sport i'm not familiar with the rod you mentioned. that's why here lately i've sat back and been reading and not posting. trying to learn as much as possible. ready to try some of the things that i've read.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:38 AM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Question Re: 5 weight gw griggs 8' & the "Dig Me" Factor

My first rod after my buddy-borrowed Cortland Fairplay ;o) was a WW Grigg 9' 5wt rod. The GX Curtis mentioned. Still moving into the sport it has been a great rod for a variety of occasions. The price is right for learning and -- as far as I'm concerned -- long term until the pocket book catches up with the prices of nicer rods. This brings up a question I'll tag on to this thread (with your permission Dave as I believe it relates).

While fishing with a friend last year, he talked about the rods that he stocks in his shop in Lubbock. He's been in FFing related retail for about twelve years. He said that they stock a fair number of rods ranging from low to high end but has observed that after a certain point in time one of two things happens. Either you get folks who have such a finely tuned sense of touch and feel that they move into making their own rods. Or you get into a "dig me" factor where quality differences are slight and don't really justify the price differences -- ergo it becomes about holding clout in shop talk with others (e.g. "while on this trip using my stylized silver swan 5000 9' 4 3/4" 5.75wt, pearl and pewter reel seat . . . I caught this moby of a brown etc., etc.).

So, what do you all think. Is there a dig me factor in general or are there yet quality diffs in rods on the high end that justify the prices (that I'll likely not be paying anytime soon)?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll have to admit that I don't remember suggesting you get a 8' 5wt, but I'm suprised, since I would love to have one myself. (although an 8' 6wt would do me even better)

There's nothing wrong with cheap rods, as long as there's nothing wrong with them. (ha!) As long as the cork is good enough, the guides are secured well enough to stay, the reel seat keeps the reel on there, and you like the way it casts, then you have nothing to lose. Well, there is always the warranty issue, but at that price, after you returned a TFO or ECHO to the factory for repair twice, you could have a new rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I will say what the pocket book can handle and what feels good to YOU. But, there is deffinitly a difference in the upper end rods. The blanks, the tapers, the hardware (and where they are placed).
To say you can catch just as many fish on a $29. as a $600, true, but if you live to fish and vise versa, like myself, I prefer the upper end on there performance and quality not to mention the reliability.
We are into building our own now and to get the guides right for different tapers is pain staking prosses, one that most don't realize.
For those that say they don't need an expensive rod, I think it is because the can't justifie the price and have convinced themself to that, and that is cool...whatever gets you through the night.
But, in the same breath don't put down those that can afford them and can tell the difference. No we are not all snobs, I will let anyone try one of my rods and I will be the first to give flies, leaders and on occassion line to others.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Joni is right.

There is definately a difference between a $500 Sage and an $89 TFO. But, the differences sometimes are too hard to notice for someone who is just beginning and I think for a lot of people those differences can be detrimental.

Most of the high end rods are built anymore for the powercasters. Take the TCR for example. Super fast and built to carry a LOT of line. That is great if that is what you need. I personally do not. I would rather fish with a WW Grigg that has a deeper flex as I fish closer up.

Also, those differences are made for much more experienced casters and many times take more concentration and work to get all that the rod has out of it.

Again, I personally would rather fish with something that is as relaxed at it as I am. I don't want to have to think about my cast or try and make sure I am timing everything perfectly. I like a moderate action that I can feel loading and that tends to cover up my non-chalante (sp?) manner in which I fish. I like to spend time looking at the trees and the animals, not worrying if I am making the perfect cast.

I have used the top of the top in rods and can say that they are built to cast and if you want them to, they will do some amazing things with the line, but I personally don't see a need for them in my fishing world and would rather carry a sub-$100 bushwhacker rod that feels good in my hand.

Bottom line?

Fish what feels good and don't worry about it.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Curtis, you said exacttly what I was hoping for, thank you. Be comfortable and it will be more fun. Right on. You are right in the point that more of the high end are catering to distance. I absolutly love the Streamdance GLX, but it is fast.
Guess that is why we are building glass rods, slow like us LOL!
We need to respect EVERYONE from the $29. to the $2,000+ EQUALLY!
Kinda like riding a moped or a Harley, both put the wind and the bugs in your face.