The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default TL Johnson?

Anybody owned, used, or cast one of these rods?- The home of TL Johnson Fly rods

Their website makes it look like they're making great stuff in CO, and with offerings as varied or moreso as Sage and Scott.

They're also doing American made Glass and Bamboo, even with some Bamboo offerings under $1000.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: TL Johnson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Anybody owned, used, or cast one of these rods?- The home of TL Johnson Fly rods

Their website makes it look like they're making great stuff in CO, and with offerings as varied or moreso as Sage and Scott.

They're also doing American made Glass and Bamboo, even with some Bamboo offerings under $1000.
Cliff, I have a buddy that's built a few of the Synergy rods. I got to cast one for about an hour last month. Very different from pure fiberglass rods. In fact, I really liked it. The Synergy is glass with graphite woven in the butt section. I have a 4/5w blank on order and it's going to be Flygoddess' new toy when it's done. I haven't tried the plastic rods but I hear they're really nice.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Cliff, I have a buddy that's built a few of the Synergy rods. I got to cast one for about an hour last month. Very different from pure fiberglass rods. In fact, I really liked it. The Synergy is glass with graphite woven in the butt section. I have a 4/5w blank on order and it's going to be Flygoddess' new toy when it's done. I haven't tried the plastic rods but I hear they're really nice.
Ah, kinda like those new Hardy rods then. Can't understand the pricing of those Hardy's given that they're made in China, but oh well.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Ah, kinda like those new Hardy rods then. Can't understand the pricing of those Hardy's given that they're made in China, but oh well.
Built in Korea, not China. I think there's a big difference. All the new Hardy reels and rods I've seen are extremely nice and the reels are built very tight and smooth. The rods are flawless and cast beautifully. Hardy did it right I think. The new Hardy reels are all affordable now. Check out Harris Sportsmail Just google it up.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Fly Fishing Crazy is on a distinguished road

I have a TL Johnson STX 9' 5wt demo that I've been using. I tested in on a very windy day on a private stocked ranch pond in southern CO. I tested it against an Elkhorn 5wt, a Stone Creek Halcyon and Terry Johnson's Brightwater Series import. I found the TLJ STX to be the only one that would cast a streamer into that wind. The line speed from the very-fast action was fantastic and the line fed through the guides, on the presentation, with ease. Of course, given the cost difference, the STX should have won that battle. The Helix uni-directional graphite is the reason. The rod blank is designed to remain round under flex instead of ovalling like other rods. That provides the strength and power. It's a fantastic rod for around $600. His Brightwater rod, at $150 is nothing to sneeze at, though. He bought his own company in China and has them built to his specifications. The one I tried did a workman's job on 24' bows in the morning before the winds came up. Stone Creek's $150 Halcyon is a great bargain also. I've owned a 3wt Elkhorn for about 7 years and it's one of my favorite rods, so I didn't put the demo $180 5wt to as long a test that weekend.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Built in Korea, not China. I think there's a big difference. All the new Hardy reels and rods I've seen are extremely nice and the reels are built very tight and smooth. The rods are flawless and cast beautifully. Hardy did it right I think. The new Hardy reels are all affordable now. Check out Harris Sportsmail Just google it up.
I don't have any experience with Hardy's rods, but I purchased a Korean-built Hardy Featherweight reel through Harris at the start of this season and it's one very nice reel!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I don't have any experience with Hardy's rods, but I purchased a Korean-built Hardy Featherweight reel through Harris at the start of this season and it's one very nice reel!
Maybe its because Shimano has made such great reels for so long, but i would much rather have an Asian made reel than a rod.

That said, for the same money, I'd still take a Lamson/Waterworks reel over a Hardy or Loomis.