The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank Whiton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Scott A3 versus Sage flight

Hey everybody,

I posted earlier about getting a scott A3 fly rod.

I like the rod and feel of it while i looked at them at my local fly shop, but i looked around on the internet and noticed that the sage flight is cheaper and is a fast action rod wich is what im looking for.

I also read a post by dorian.ducker and he made me look into it more and ive found i like what i have read about it more than the A3 but ive never casted it nor have i held it.

My question is should i stick with the A3 or is the flight a better choice.

one last thing when you type in sage flight fly rod review dorians review on this website is the first website listed.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scott A3 versus Sage flight

No doubt they are both good rods. If you were to cast both, I'd bet you
would quickly decide which one is better for you . If you can't get to a
dealer, buy from one with a return policy.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Watch Ebay.. Scott's pop up from time to time and if you watch long enough you can get a good buy and a good rod for 1/2 the price if not more..

I actually picked up a G2 last fall with warrenty card for $385 I know I can sell it back soon for about that much. IF I decide to not keep it.. So far my paypal account has only lost about $60 and I have tried about 8 rods.. I just recently bought 2 more with warrenty cards (a helios for $480 and a Greys for $125)

So what I am saying is, if you are on a tight budget get a two used rods at good prices (don't out bid yourself) Try them on stream side by side (take care of them) and then sell the rod you don't like. Then get another try side by side and sell the rod you don't like.. Repeat until your have that dream stick you love..

I can tell you I loved the Winston BIIX on my lawn.. but I killed me to actually hook a fish without snagging it and even more to get the little suckers to my net.. IF I would have bought that $700 rod I would have been heartbroken after 2 outings on the stream..

Good luck and tight lines
CritterGetter
Old 07-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Troutwhisperer,

Both are good rods and you will be happy with either one.

My personal choice would be the Sage Flight just because it is made by Sage. You know that down the road if you break the rod or need some repairs, Sage will be there. Scott is a much smaller company and who knows what the future holds for them.

I suggest you call Todd at the Forum Fly Shop. (937-434-8472) He will ship you a Sage Flight for free and if you don't like it you can return it.

Frank
majohnson likes this.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Frank brought up a good point, and I personally like the flight better anyway.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I can't help you with a comparison but I have been fishing a 9' 5wt. Flight from my pontoon for about a month now and I love it. To me the Flight seems to feel lighter in the hand and flex's a little more into the middle of the rod than the Sage Fli it replaces.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

wesswank is on a distinguished road

I realize there is some age on this thread, however, I do not believe it is a fair comparison of Scott and Sage on a corporate level. In light of mega corporation failures like, WorldComm, Enron, and AIG, I seriously doubt there would be a fly fishing bailout. Fiscal irresponsibility is rampant in large companys also. As far as size goes, you have to "start" somewhere. Customer service always backs off a notch the further you get away from the principals of the company, however 2 companies I can vouch for the exception to the rule is Orvis and Scott. I own rods from both and have broken rods from both. They were both handled exceptionally well by their repair facilities. My next rod will come from Scott.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 PM

springs_fly is on a distinguished road

Ditto!
Scott has been an innovator for more than 35 years; that's 5 years longer than Sage has made stiff rods for. Scott may be small in Marketing size but there rods are as good as Sage; I feel better because they use more modern components.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Scott is here for the long haul. Only dip in Great customer service was when they introduced the successful S4 rods. In this economy they must be doing well because they are a sponsor on many of the Sportsman Channel Fly Fishing shows.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 AM

mr_tom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
I can't help you with a comparison but I have been fishing a 9' 5wt. Flight from my pontoon for about a month now and I love it. To me the Flight seems to feel lighter in the hand and flex's a little more into the middle of the rod than the Sage Fli it replaces.
+1-absolutely

can't comment on the flight series, but i own one 4pc fli, fished a buddy's 2pc, both in 5wt, and neither bends in the middle, that tip flex is very....positive...not sure of the word, but the first 18inches feels COMPLETELY different than the rest of the rod, strikes do not always feel,...solid.

i've had 2 instances with my fli 590-4 rod when a fish sucked it down and tried to swallow a slowly sinking fly during presentation and i didn't notice till the fish hit the bottom, maybe 1ft down... in the past this only happened to me when i had an especially long or stretchy leader, but i feel these times were due to the last couple inches of my fli being toooooooo soft. both times, the water was completely still, both times it was a small bream, but if the last three feet were more uniform, and the last 6 inches were a tad stiffer, surely i would have noticed. i think this MUST have cost me fish that i never even knew i lost. thinking about glueing half a toothpick sized piece about 3-4inches from the tip...have done this before, on another rod and it worked, also gave me a little more distance.