The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default bought a bamboo rod to try

Did a little research and found the rod (Sport King) was a Montgomery Ward marketed rod and not of great value as a collectible, but should be fishable.
It's a re-build using old hardware (supposedly in mint condition) with new finish & wraps. Listed as a light 6wt, so I'll probably hang my Pflueger reel already set up w/6wt line on it and see how it feels.
Always wanted to try bamboo, but didn't trust those sold as "vintage" and didn't want to pay for new. This is my compromise.
Now I can feel like a kid again and tell my wife, "I'm going down to the pond with my cane pole."

Bamboo Fly Rod 8 1/2 ft. Custom Built - eBay (item 200576224896 end time Feb-20-11 12:05:48 PST)
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: bought a bamboo rod to try

Looks like you did OK, the only way to get a rod in that condition is to refurbish one yourself. It looks like the guy did a nice job so we'll wait till you get it and try it out then you'll let us know........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have just got a 6wt boo rod too I love it soo nice to cast But I will need to refinnish mine before I take it to the river.
Congrats on getting yours
Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I've always figured glass or bamboo might fit my casting style better as I end up overlining fast graphite rods I've owned. Tried an inexpensive (Eagle Claw) glass rod and it was a good match in my hands for a comfortable casting stroke, so the next experiment is going to be this bamboo rod. Where I fish a short cast will usually get the fly where it needs to be, and often a long cast is difficult to impossible with limited room behind me. Not really much need for fast line speeds and long distance casting.

I fish to relax, not catch trophies, so the bamboo (hopefully) will let me slow down even more when I fish.

I will probably be asking for tips and advice once I get the rod in my hands. It's been a few years (quite a few) since I used a rod with metal ferrules, but I can remember the days when that was the normal method of joining sections of multi-piece rods. I can remember lubing the male ferrule with oil from alongside my nose, and the old hands behind the legs with a squat motion to separate stubborn joints. (in the rod - hope I'm not so old my joints separate! )

One question is why have two tip sections.
I'm guessing the reason is so I can switch usage between the tips to avoid stressing one by using it too often?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Boo world...if youa are not careful you will get hooked. Bamboo typically was sold with two tips...to minimize the tip getting a set. Most tips will be the same ...although some boo makers made one dry and one wet tip...your Sport King won't fall into that category. rotate using your tips and always check after use to make sure there is no "set" to the tip. If there is...usually you can fix it by a gentle but steady bening in the opposite direction and holding it for a bit. Look on the web for info on how to care for Boo and how to store it...the Orvis site has a page that is pretty good. I have a Grenger from the late 30's and a Phillipson from the late 40's that I use alot..... with care they wil last a lifetime. One final thought...you Sport King would have been rated for a 6wt Double taper... if you feel your WF is a bit underlined...buy some DT and you should be fine
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Two tips because the most likely that one will get broken, so most people requested a spare made the same so that you dont have to spend heaps when you do break it. A rod maker over here sells spare tips with a rod package for $35 extra, if you want the tip only more like upto $300

Got a spare tip great! could save you

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Hi Wabi-I've been thinking of doing the same thing, buying a refinished bamboo to try. I've been watching the same guy you bought yours from. I'm interested in knowing how yours turns out, and how you like it. I've always liked the feel of a slow, full flex rod and want a nice bamboo rod in around 5wt. Don't know much about treatment and care of bamboo, I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with them will chime in here with some advice. Good luck with yours! Glen
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

Not a bad way to try bamboo. There are lots available on eBay. Hidden moisture damage is a **** shoot. Delaminating strips are much easier to spot, but they can be fished. Refinishing a bamboo rod is not all that hard. Just takes some time.

As far as care, NEVER store a bamboo rod that is even a little bit damp. If ou have to put it in a tube damp, then air it out as soon as possible.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Hi Wabi-I've been thinking of doing the same thing, buying a refinished bamboo to try. I've been watching the same guy you bought yours from. I'm interested in knowing how yours turns out, and how you like it. I've always liked the feel of a slow, full flex rod and want a nice bamboo rod in around 5wt. Don't know much about treatment and care of bamboo, I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with them will chime in here with some advice. Good luck with yours! Glen
Got the rod today and I'm very well pleased with both the rod and the seller.
It looks great as far as his re-finishing and the old hardware gives it a nice vintage appearance.

I soon had one of my spare 6wt reels mounted on it and was in my driveway casting. I wasn't really prepared for the feel of a full flex rod, it felt like I had it way overlined when I first cast it.
After a short break-in period (for me) I was easily getting 60' of line out (my limit in my driveway) with very good accuracy.
This rod may be a perfect match for me on those days when I feel totally relaxed and have no stress to work off.

I'd say you would be safe dealing with this seller, and if you want to try bamboo without risking your life's savings this is a good way to get started.

I just fear the financial outlay when I decide to upgrade.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with wtex50 on the line choice. I use double taper on all my rods and it works like a charm. The best piece of advice I can give for using a vintage wood rod is to be careful and don't push the rod as if it were a graphite. You will find the limitations of the rod as you use it.

Glad you got a good deal Mike,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;