The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road
Default ferrule question...

Recently, when I put my rod together, it sounds like there is dirt or something in the ferrule, which is leaving scratches on the male part. I've tried to clean it out, but still seems to be in there. Is there something I can do to protect the male part? Would wax help protect it? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ferrule question...

Get a good light and a magnifying glass. Take a look inside and see if there is anything stuck in the graphite. If it is an object try and dislodge it with a small tool like good tweesers or forceps. If it is a flaw in the graphite see if you can file down the offending hump or barb with a smal jewelers file.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You should try to clean it again with a little drill...if there are scraches there must be something inside maybe a little sand grain.Not sur wax will be the solution.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
You should try to clean it again with a little drill...if there are scraches there must be something inside maybe a little sand grain.Not sur wax will be the solution.
Suspect your right; wax would just tend to 'lock it in place.' Problem not solved, 'just delayed?'

fae
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi i_throw_bugs,

Take a round tooth pick or match stick and put a little cotton on the end. Do it so you can hang on to the cotton to prevent it from coming off in the ferrule. It doesn't take much cotton. Run it into the ferrule and rotate it around the inside of the ferrule. Carefully remove the cotton and if there is anything inside that is sharp, it will grabe the cotton. Then decide how to repare it.

I don't think I would put a drill bit in the female ferrule directly. You can use a drill bit but use one that is small enough to fit into the ferrule wrapped with 320 grit wet/dry sand paper. Is this a two piece rod?

Frank
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also think a drill is a very bad idea.

I like the cotton swabbing idea. A q-tip would work well. A pipe cleaner also could work to clean out any grit stuck to the inside of the ferrule.

An air duster could also be handy. Stick the straw/tube in past the ferrule itself (so that you're not blowing the crud further into the rod section), blow it, and the pressure should blow any schmutz out the open ferrule.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

I don't think I would put a drill bit in the female ferrule directly. You can use a drill bit but use one that is small enough to fit into the ferrule wrapped with 320 grit wet/dry sand paper. Is this a two piece rod?

Frank
it's a 4 piece, it only is happening when I connect the butt section to the section with the stripping guide. Thanks for the advice, I like cotton idea I'll have to try it.