The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM

steely34 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Midge Fly Rod

This past Sat., I was at a public sale and was VERY lucky to be the high bidder on a Orvis Midge Bamboo Fly Rod. The case was with it and all and it looks like it was never used. Now for the great part - I got it for $47.00. I couldn't believe it and felt like I just robbed a bank. Went fishing with it the next day and caught a 10 " brownie on it. Took a while to get used to the slowness in the rod response though but I kind of fell in love with it. My first bamboo after 40 yrs. of flyfishing. But it will now be put away for my sons to fight over when I'm gone. Question is though does anyone out there know the value of it or have any web sites I can look it up. I'm having trouble finding it's true worth. Only one tip is with the rod. Again it is like new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Midge Fly Rod

Go to clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com.Theres an appraisal section there and these guys live and breath bamboo.You got a steal of a deal there and I would fish it while you can.Good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'll give you $75 right now for it.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 AM

steely34 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Skip, I went to the site and posted a question about the rod. Hopefully they will get back to me. Mojo - thanks for the offer but--------I don't think so. Nice try though. LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the steal- a truly great deal.

I'm sure the guys at Clarks forum can give you a good idea of approx value. Condition of course is important. Since you fished it, I'm assuming it doesn't have any obvious signs of damage, splits, loose ferrules, or warping.

I've seen 2 piece orvis midges in good condition with 2 tips (usually referred to as "2/2") go for around 500-550. I'm no expert on boo, but I'd bet a 2/1 in good condition would be worth at least 300ish.

It's a great find, enjoy it!

mark