The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default tried the rods and made my choice.

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in my recent threads about opinions on the 9' 9# Winston BIIX and Sage Xi2 they where both so nice to cast and I could not decide which one I liked and I went back and fourth 4 times trying these two rods.. the very first rod I casted was the 9' 9# Sage TCX and then I went to the other two but after I could not decide which rod I wanted I went back to the TCX and it was stiffer but my loops where tighter and it was easy putting out 70' of line in one haul and for me who is a beginner basically was blown away!!!

the Xi2 was a hair if not dead even with the winston and if anything the sage just felt a bit more heavier in the hand and a bit more stiff in the mid flex where the winston at first felt like its action would be too slow for me but it did put out the line just as good as the Xi2---> I'd be happy to have either rod they are both awesome rods!

but its the TCX for me and I needed a reel now and after checking out reel after reel (tibor/nautilus/abel/hardy/loop/ the brandnew waterworks (which I forgot the name) Ross) I already have Abel so I decided to get the Loop Megaloop model loaded with airflo's striper ridged intermediate and another spool loaded with SA's striper series 350gr..

thanks for all the advice and PM's.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tried the rods and made my choice.

Enjoy your new toys.

MP
Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used a Sage TCX, but they are reputed to be good. The important
thing is that you like it. Enjoy !
Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 PM

thanks,, yeah theres so much nice stuff out there now--> litterly every manufacturer has nice equipment!

I just hope everything is reliable because I only want to do this once or at least until I get my moneys worth.

hooked what felt like a very nice sized striper this afternoon in Boston harbor and right when he was just getting tired and turning for me the hook dislodged
Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tajue,

You have demonstrated why it is so important to test cast a rod before buying it. Thanks for the update. Would you mind adding your general location to your profile. I am thinking you are overseas some where.

Is that Megaloop a bit of over kill for a 9wt rod? I am not too familiar with the Loop Reels but I guess the Megaloop is an oversized Opti-loop? That thing must bring a lot of line in a hurry.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.Megaloop reel
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

yeah it takes a bit getting used too and it feels alot heavier than my Abel super 8 but I wanted my next reel to be at least up to a 12# because I'm only fishing in the ocean and its just a matter of time before I say I want to go bigger and want to throw a 12# @ some tuna/shark & sailfish if I ever get the chance so at least now I have the reel that will hold and do it all for me with some sacrifice which in this case this reel on the TCX feels a little heavy but It doesn't really bother me.

I really wanted to try the galvan 12# but Scott @ the bears den said sure whenever the get there because he has been waiting awhile for th galvans to show up.

as for the reel its 20 times smoother than my abel and it retrieves line fast and so fast I'm not used to it and always reel in my leader (when moving to another spot)

I'll fix my profile---> Im from the south shore of Massachusetts.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tajue17, that seems like an impressive reel. The Loop is very popular overseas.

Thanks for adding you location to your profile. That makes it a lot easier to reply to your post.

Frank