The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default My New Rod!

Ok, I hate garage sales. But I was driving through Kansas City, saw one, and my dad wanted to stop and look around. So I looked around becuase of the what the hell factor. I noticed a fly rod across the driveway and I went to look at it, Its a Winston IM6, with a twenty five dollar price tag! I spent a few minutes looking at the rod, It was in perfect condition, the cork was still clean.

When I payed for it, the lady who's sale it was says "Oh, I have a tube and a warrenty card for that"

I am probably the luckiest guy in the world, but because of my nature, I am skeptical of everything, I quickly drove home put a line on it and cast it.

I knew it was One hundred% legit, it had that beautiful Winston action.

Just to be sure, I went to the fly shop, and they confirmed it was a factory built Winston.

I thought Id share my story
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My New Rod!

Congrats on the great find! I'm like you I hate garage sales, but as you have shown sometimes you stumble onto some great buys.

Larry
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid, my friends and I used to cruise the neighborhood garage sales for fishing tackle. Occassionally something nice was found. But we never found anything like your find. Congrats!

MP
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hell of a deal.

Might be a real life example of the classic joke:

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it."

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Hell of a deal.

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it."
Cliff: LMAO! That was funny!

Larry
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hell of a deal.

That's the best. LMAO.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on that deal!!!! Someone posted that they found an Orvis bamboo
rod a garage sale for around $40 last week. The next time I saw a
garage sale, I'm stopping !!!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hell of a deal.

Classic but very funny...I didn't know this one...thanks Big
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
Ok, I hate garage sales. But I was driving through Kansas City, saw one, and my dad wanted to stop and look around. So I looked around becuase of the what the hell factor. I noticed a fly rod across the driveway and I went to look at it, Its a Winston IM6, with a twenty five dollar price tag! I spent a few minutes looking at the rod, It was in perfect condition, the cork was still clean.

When I payed for it, the lady who's sale it was says "Oh, I have a tube and a warrenty card for that"

I am probably the luckiest guy in the world, but because of my nature, I am skeptical of everything, I quickly drove home put a line on it and cast it.

I knew it was One hundred% legit, it had that beautiful Winston action.

Just to be sure, I went to the fly shop, and they confirmed it was a factory built Winston.

I thought Id share my story
Congrats... I got a chainsaw and beer mugs that way because the wife was pissed off at her X and was just getting rid of his stuff because she wanted a trip to Vegas :^)