The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Pittflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default 9' vs 10 foot rod

Hey all, I was hoping to get your expertise. I am looking to purchase two new rods this year. A new 9 wt for salt and a 6 wt travel rod for fresh and light salt as I travel much for business and looking to sneak some fishing in on the side.

I have always purchased 9 ft rods but was a bit intrigued. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 10 ft rod.

Most of my fishing is warm water fishing due to what I have easily available to me. Carp, Smallies, etc.... I am a salt water enthusiast, but can only get there a few times per year as I am land locked!

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 9' vs 10 foot rod

Hi

Here is a link to a previous thread about 10' rods that may help you.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 08-24-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Pittflyguy will become famous soon enough

Frank, thank you. That was helpful.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi

Here is a link to a previous thread about 10' rods that may help you.

Frank
Frank,

I couldn't get this link to work.

Neil
Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road

This is probably irrelevant but here goes...

10ft rods seem to be a big-hit over here in the UK, particularly amongst the majority of boat anglers who often fish more than two flies, the extra length provides a little more control over the fluff at the end. However I find 10ft rods tiring to use after a little while and I rarely go over 9ft 6" for trout fishing.

So basically extra control over the fly more or less sums up the advantages.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

Give it a try now. Not sure what happened. It had the correct address but wouldn't work for me either.

Frank
Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittflyguy View Post
Hey all, I was hoping to get your expertise. I am looking to purchase two new rods this year. A new 9 wt for salt and a 6 wt travel rod for fresh and light salt as I travel much for business and looking to sneak some fishing in on the side.

I have always purchased 9 ft rods but was a bit intrigued. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 10 ft rod.

Most of my fishing is warm water fishing due to what I have easily available to me. Carp, Smallies, etc.... I am a salt water enthusiast, but can only get there a few times per year as I am land locked!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I love 10' rods. If I am fishing a river with obstructions, easy to stick out and get some distance. OUTSTANDING on mending on multi speeds drifts.
Tiresome? Not at all. New rods are lighter Pleccy LOL. The rod should be doing the work. I have weenie arms and I use mine all day and usually my go to rod for rivers.
I know they say they are great Tube/toon rods as they keep the fly off the water on the back cast, but I gotta say, in a float tube or a pontoon you are mobile. You don't need to make those long casts. Even the gulpers, I have used a 7' rod and got the fly 60'.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: 9' vs 10 foot rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I love 10' rods. If I am fishing a river with obstructions, easy to stick out and get some distance. OUTSTANDING on mending on multi speeds drifts.
Tiresome? Not at all. New rods are lighter Pleccy LOL. The rod should be doing the work. I have weenie arms and I use mine all day and usually my go to rod for rivers.
I know they say they are great Tube/toon rods as they keep the fly off the water on the back cast, but I gotta say, in a float tube or a pontoon you are mobile. You don't need to make those long casts. Even the gulpers, I have used a 7' rod and got the fly 60'.
Joni, with your Orvis connections I'm guessing you're lucky enough to be using Orvis Helios rods, because I just got a ZG Helios 10' 4-wt. 9.5 tip flex and it's just amazing how light that rod casts. It feels like half the weight of my Sage Z-Axis 11' 7-wt. switch rod (although I know that the Sage, being a foot longer and for a 7-wt. line would naturally feel heavier casting). In fact, the 10' Helios 4-wt. is a more effortless cast than my trusty old favorite go-to Sage SP 8 3/4' 5-wt. Haven't used the Helios much yet, but expect amazing things with it nymphing dropper rigs on the San Juan and Guadalupe.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 AM

Falk65 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Falk65

I agree with Joni about 10' rods,I have one 10' that i use most for Salmon and Trout in Lakes Rivers and small streams and use it all day long without problems which my Old Nine feet makes in my shoulder.

Love to cast this 10' G-Loomis Native Run # 6 it handles to cast heavy tubes down to smallest Dry flies

Keep on Fishing
G-Falk
omer likes this.
G-Loomis Roaring River Stinger GLX 14 #9/10

G-Loomis Native Run GLX 10#6
Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Tiresome? Not at all. New rods are lighter Pleccy LOL.
There's certainly nothing wrong with something along the lines of a 10ft #4-5 Sage or whatever, however try a heavier Greys platinum XD 10ft #8 and you'll know what I'm on about in terms of tiredness.

Nothing beats a 10ft #6 from a float tube, mmmmm....