The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM

danm is on a distinguished road
Default Reel for Grey's Streamflex 11ft. 4wt.?

I just bought a new Grey's Streamflex 4 Wt. 11ft. I plan to try euro nymphing for trout this year. Does anybody have any recommendantions for a reel which will match well with this rod? I tried a Ross Evolution LT 2 with 4 wt. line and the rod is still very tip heavy.

Any recommendatiosn would be appreciated. Thanks

DanM
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel for Grey's Streamflex 11ft. 4wt.?

Can't recommend a reel...but can only tell you I use a Vivarelli with my 10' 4wt to fish on dry and nymph on sight and it's just perfect.I've been interested by the Streamflex for a while and would like to know what you think of it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I have a 10' Streamflex. It is a bummer they are in the process or already have dropped that line. This rod was the first rod out many that I tried that transferred the feel of a BB bouncing on the bottom of the stream highsticking. I actually felt a hit of a crawdad and hooked him nymphing... I had a ZEN moment nymphing with the Streamflex...

Anyway... I found a GRXi Kit cheap on Ebay. It has the reel and 4 spools. I think it works well on this rod. I had an issue with the reel and Hardy North America did a killer job replacing it for on $40.

My however, If I would have spent another $100, I would have purchased a lighter weight reel for $225.

If you don't get fish on your reel then save the $ and buy better line.

Good luck...

Crittergetter

PS.... In another year they are coming out with a Nymphing Rod with their new technology in it.. I can't wait. At least that is what the service tech said.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Today's reels are being so machined out that you may want to consider a reel ranked for a six or seven weight line. If you want to stick with Ross, the Evo LT 3 might be the right call.

MP
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My local shop has a Grey's XF2 10' 4wt and a 10' 3wt. Is the XF2 a newer model or will it be a closeout soon like my Z-axis ?

I am thinking of getting one to try out without breaking the bank.

Anyone have the 3wt and how does it do with size 12 beadhead type nymphs in tandem or would you go with a 4wt ?

Yes ,no , maybe ?

Any and all input would be great before I buy
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
I have a 10' Streamflex. It is a bummer they are in the process or already have dropped that line. This rod was the first rod out many that I tried that transferred the feel of a BB bouncing on the bottom of the stream highsticking. I actually felt a hit of a crawdad and hooked him nymphing... I had a ZEN moment nymphing with the Streamflex...

Anyway... I found a GRXi Kit cheap on Ebay. It has the reel and 4 spools. I think it works well on this rod. I had an issue with the reel and Hardy North America did a killer job replacing it for on $40.

My however, If I would have spent another $100, I would have purchased a lighter weight reel for $225.

If you don't get fish on your reel then save the $ and buy better line.

Good luck...

Crittergetter

PS.... In another year they are coming out with a Nymphing Rod with their new technology in it.. I can't wait. At least that is what the service tech said.
They haven't dropped that line, they updatted them last year with the XF2 blanks and better hardware. They are great rods.

As far as reels, I can't think of a better match than the new Hardy UL reels, either the click and pawl or the Disc drag is $199 for the four weight.

New Hardy Ultralite Reels Review The Albemarle AnglerThe Albemarle Angler
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Dan, Congratulations for the arrow in your quiver.

A streamflex 11 footer 4 wt is going to be my next Christmas present. So I gotta behave.

Well, I was told that Lamson Guru 2 or Evo 3 works very well with the rod.
But for me I would go for Allen reel. When you are doing euro nymphing, you are not going to use a lot of fly line. So your reel's main function is giving you balance for your rig. Perhaps another thing that you are looking for is a good drag when you play fish. I think that given the price of the reel, Allen may be a good choice.

tight lines
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Look at the Hardy Demon reel and Uniqua's. Great prices in both.