The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 PM

Timco is on a distinguished road
Default Lubrication???

What type of lubrications do you use for connecting sections of fiberglass & metal joints? I have bamboo & fiberglass rods...bamboo have metal couplings.

Thanks, Tim
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lubrication???

Timco,

You can use a little wax (even just the side of a candle) on the male ferrule (metal, graphite or glass).

Another old trick is rubbing the male ferrule on the OUTSIDE ( ) of your nose. The natural oils are a good lubrication for the ferrules. Just a couple of twirls is all it takes.

Don't over do it with lubrication with oils etc because it can create a vacuum seal that makes it difficult to unseat. The same holds true for washing off with water, best to wipe dry before seating.

If you have metal ferrules, you can use an emery cloth or steel wool to remove corrosion.

When seating and unseating ferrules use a twisting motion as opposed to pulling or pushing straight on or off.

Mark
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:Another old trick is rubbing the male ferrule on the OUTSIDE ( ) of your nose
or in your hair if have some left that's a very old one too!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Here Here,

I second & third the motion to rub on your nose. I fish rods having nickle silver ferrules and have been using nose oils for many years.

I move that the group adapt using nose oil as our official lubricant, those in favor say 'ay' those opposed, 'nay'

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-06-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use nose oil instead of wax when I'm dubbing

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hmmm, some of you must have a lot bigger nose than me. I always run it through my hair.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 08-11-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Timco is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Should all rods (like RL Winston) fit all the way together? Mine does not seem like it will make it together, and some of the male rod shows...(graphite)

Tim
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Being the gadgeteer/technocrat that I seem to be, I've researched this question out a bit (there are other threads in this Forum that address this question in some depth). Bottom line: some high-end rod manufacturers recommend wax as a ferrule lubricant; others are vehemently against it. Nose and hair "lubricant" are also time-honored lubricants. The main consideration aside from lubricating effects is the propensity of the lubricant to pick up grit, which of course will abrade the ferrule joints resulting in ultimate failure.

Another consideration is how well the lubricant will allow the rod sections to resist separating in use. This is particularly a problem with long rods, especially spey rods with their use of two hands resulting in extra torque which will provide more separating force to the rod sections.

My research led me to use specially-formulated non-wax-based ferrule lubricants such as U-40 (Renzetti markets it also under their brand). The advantage these have is that they are cheap to use (generally once or twice a season), eliminate the ferrule sticking, are not attractive to grit, and are durable in use. This probably seems like overkill for a minor problem, but with the cost of high end rods, it seemed to me to be an inexpensive insurance for what can be a rod-threatening problem.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Thanks guys. Should all rods (like RL Winston) fit all the way together? Mine does not seem like it will make it together, and some of the male rod shows...(graphite)

Tim
Hi Tim,
Most definitely NO on the Winston spigot ferrules. The ferrules are
designed to allow for wear, and also to provide a smooth transition from
section to section. You can visit Winston's website for more info on this
ferrule design.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

like frank said my hair has just the perfect amount of oils...i also use my hair grease to lube wood screws when im woodworking..