The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough
Default St. Croix Legend Ultra ---

I've been offered a gently used St. Croix Legend Ultra 9 foot, 9 wt. model UF909 at an attractive price. This is the older model legend (the new one is U909). Can anyone comment on the performance and quality of this rod? I understand it is a fairly fast rod. An estimated value would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St. Croix Legend Ultra ---

I have one in a 4 weight. 2002 if I recall correctly. I bought it used for less than $200.00. You can date the rod by the serial number. St Croix started doing this in 2001 so if the serial number begins with an A it is a 2001, B=2002, etc. At some point St Croix took the same technology (IPC and ART) used in the Elite and brought it to the UIltra. I am sure that was after mine was made but I do not know the uear. That might influence the used value. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Depends on what you are used to. The Legend Ultra is a fast action rod. I had on in 2wt. Loved to cast it, but sold it because I do dumb things sometimes. I'd love to have one in 5wt.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
An estimated value would be greatly appreciated.
A used rod in the updated (u909) would sell on e-bay for 150-200. I have seen some of the UF models sell for 100-125.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak to 'value,' following (as noted above) e-bay is a good bet even if it's a closed auction.

As for the rod, I have the 8wt version of that stick and it's my 'go to' winter single hander for Steelhead. As a norm I'm a 2-hander guy, but there are times/places you really do need to use heavy sink tip lines (Teeney nymph things); the 8wt is a 'rocket launcher' with heads up to 400 grains.

fae
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I have the seven-weight. FAST rod. Great for bass and saltwater fishing. If you're looking for a softer tip for steelhead fishing I'd stay away.

I believe in the St. Croix technology. I've never had such a fast rod at any price that is such a pleasure to cast.

Randy