The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM

chart33 is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod

Hi all, what would be a good first fly rod? I live in NH where the trout aren't huge, but I am big into bass fishing and would love to hook into some smallies on a fly rod.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Fly Rod

If you're only going to buy one rod for bass and small trout, I guess I'd say a 6wt, but it would be heavy for some of the small flies you'd want for the trout. I'd recommend getting a 3wt or 4 wt for the trout and then a 6 or even 8wt for the bass. I know it get expensive, to get multiple rods, but the 6 would be limiting.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I'd probably be willing to spend around $400 total. If that could get me two rods I could live with that.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road

St. Croix Imperial's are very nice rods that don't break the bank.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chart33 View Post
I'd probably be willing to spend around $400 total. If that could get me two rods I could live with that.
$400, does that include rod, reel, line?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 AM

I was hoping rod and real to make sure I develop the passion as I have for bass fishing (think I'm hooked though because my first experience was catching Arctic grayling in Alaska... incredible experience ). If I get hooked liked I do other outdoor activities I will spend more. It is a trend for me. But I also need to get some necessary tackle including line so dropping a lot on rod and real combos isn't too feasible at this time. When I was in Alaska I used a cabelas rod and real combo that worked for me and seemed to be pretty affordable. But I know there is a lot more out there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

If you look on E-bay now, there are two Redington RS4 combo's. RS4 rod and Redington Rise reel. $125 each, those are supposed to be faster action rods and would be great (yet a little light) for the smallies and largemouth fishing larger flies, the right size for trout, but maybe not the most finesse for dry fly fishing. You cant get everything in one rod though, so you have to give somewhere. I haven't cast any redington, so I can't say much about that rod except what I have read. Thats a $329 MSRP combo.

Only problem is one review I read about these said that they lack some feel, and that may cause you some problems as a beginning caster.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I second the St. Croix Imperial suggestion. You could go with a 8 - 9 foot 5 weight with reel and decent line for well under $400.00 and you could use it for both trout or smallies. While I would agree it would be nice to have a 4 weight for trout and a 6 weight for smallies, you can always expand your equipment in the future. Buy the 5 weight then add a 7 for the bass and the occasional trip to the New York for steelhead. Then add a 3 weight for those beautiful brookies and that delicate size 24 dry presentation. Then you could add a 9 weight to the group for a trip to the cape for stripped bass. Well you get my drift (pun intended), but I don't think you would do yourself any disservice if you start with a 5 weight.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi chart33,

Buying the first rod is always a hard decision especially when your target is Bass and Trout. It is not quite as bad since you are looking at Smallmouth. For a first rod I don't think you would have a problem with a 5wt. It would be a good rod for Trout and would work for Smallmouth. Not an ideal rod for Smallmouth but if you are fishing rivers it would not be a bad choice. You would be limited with the size of fly you can cast for Smallies but you don't use near as large of flies for Smallmouth as you do for Largemouth. Then later on you could buy a 7wt and be set for Trout and Smallmouth.

Some rods to consider

1. Redington Classic Trout 5wt 8'6" or 9'.

This is a wonderful casting rod for $150 new with case.

2 The TFO Professional Same size.

A lot of members have started with this rod. Same size, same price but no case.

Reel to consider

I think on todays market the only reel to consider for the price is the Allen Reels. The are fully machined with great features. Allen is a sponsor of NAFFF and you get a good discount as a member. You won't believe the quality of the Allen reel when you get it and its less than a hundred bucks.

Frank

Allen Trout Reel, Black
Click the image to open in full size.

Allen Trout Reel, Gunmetal

Allen Trout Reel, Green
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
If you look on E-bay now, there are two Redington RS4 combo's. RS4 rod and Redington Rise reel. $125 each, those are supposed to be faster action rods and would be great (yet a little light) for the smallies and largemouth fishing larger flies, the right size for trout, but maybe not the most finesse for dry fly fishing. You cant get everything in one rod though, so you have to give somewhere. I haven't cast any redington, so I can't say much about that rod except what I have read. Thats a $329 MSRP combo.

Only problem is one review I read about these said that they lack some feel, and that may cause you some problems as a beginning caster.
That's an incredible deal, but starting on a fast rod is probably not advisable. I've fished with a lot of faster rods, and while I consider myself a decent caster, they really amplify any mistakes you make. I let one of my friends use an ultra-fast Echo I used to have, he was a pretty good caster, and he could barely cast with it. Giving it to a beginner would just cause serious frustration, and I imagine the RS4's are comparable.

I've read that the Redington CT is a very user friendly rod, and I actually plan to get one soon for dry-fly and backcountry fishing, as every review I have read has been glowing. If I had $400, I'd probaby get one of those in an 8'6" 4wt and get a redington pursuit in a 7 or 8 weight for bass. I'd get a cheapie Okuma or Pfleuger reel for the CT and something a little more substantial for the 8wt. The Okuma SLV and Integrity both have pretty good reviews, but they are a little on the heavier side.