The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default Broke my 8 wt and got a 2 wt

After returning my broken 8 wt (brok while on the New River in WV last month) I decided to get something I'd use a lot more. I use the 8 wt for big bass and saltwater flies. I do that about three times a year. Caught 3 pound smallies on the 4 wt without putting them on the reel so I don't need another bass rod untill net year when I go to WV or the OBX again.
Ended up with a 6'6" 2 wt TFO.
Nice rod and casts very well for something that short! Can't wait to get to a trout streem, but have used it for gills and sunfish and chubs already. Lots of fun.

Last edited by twospots; 08-18-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broke my 8 wt and got a 2 wt

twospots: Sounds like you will have lots of fun with the new 2 wt rod. You should be able to get into some pretty small streams with that setup. Be sure to post your fishing reports once you have some on stream experience, we would like to hear what you think of the new rod after you have had a chance to handle some fish with it.

Larry
Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I've "handled" about 30 sunfish with it and a few creek chubs. It honestly is about the same as my 4 wt in "feel" to be honest... I have not targeted anything larger and only plan on using it for small browns and to take on trips for brookies in tiny streams. I'll probably use it around here for gills a lot. If I happen to get a bass i'll let you know...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospots View Post
I've "handled" about 30 sunfish with it and a few creek chubs. It honestly is about the same as my 4 wt in "feel" to be honest... I have not targeted anything larger and only plan on using it for small browns and to take on trips for brookies in tiny streams. I'll probably use it around here for gills a lot. If I happen to get a bass i'll let you know...
Check out the thread by FlyRichardFly where he discusses his Orvis Superfine 1 wt rod. He really enjoys fishing with that rod.
Everything is Relative! E=MC2

Larry