The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 AM

Bies is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy ?

Everyone on every forum is writing for example about sage vs winston, scott, orvis... etc.
But never about hardy ?
I dont know good about fly roods, but frends told me that hardy is on the top and one of the oldest, traditional and best fly fishing comp.
So why no one is writing about hardy ? no compare to other etc ?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bies View Post
Everyone on every forum is writing for example about sage vs winston, scott, orvis... etc.
But never about hardy ?
I dont know good about fly roods, but frends told me that hardy is on the top and one of the oldest, traditional and best fly fishing comp.
So why no one is writing about hardy ? no compare to other etc ?
There could be many reasons for the lack of reviews on Hardy. Over the past few years, Hardy was distributed by Cortland Line Company. It did a poor job marketing the product. It also jacked the prices higher than what they should be because Cortland was trying to capitalize on the Hardy name. Also many shops just didn't carry the product. If shops don't carry the product, no one's going to talk about it. Hardy also moved production of some of its products from the UK to Korea. Many Hardy diehards would only consider a Hardy if it is a UK made product. Think about it this way. If Sage decided to make its rods overseas, what kind of fallout would you think would happen?

You will probably start seeing more reviews about Hardy over the next year or two. Hardy has setup its own Hardy/Greys distribution network in North America. It's got a great product selection that is mixed with some classic styles and some modern ones (including an $8000 reel). Because of its new distribution network and some offshore made product, Hardy product prices are going lower on many models.

MP
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There could be many reasons for the lack of reviews on Hardy. Over the past few years, Hardy was distributed by Cortland Line Company. It did a poor job marketing the product. It also jacked the prices higher than what they should be because Cortland was trying to capitalize on the Hardy name. Also many shops just didn't carry the product. If shops don't carry the product, no one's going to talk about it. Hardy also moved production of some of its products from the UK to Korea. Many Hardy diehards would only consider a Hardy if it is a UK made product. Think about it this way. If Sage decided to make its rods overseas, what kind of fallout would you think would happen?

You will probably start seeing more reviews about Hardy over the next year or two. Hardy has setup its own Hardy/Greys distribution network in North America. It's got a great product selection that is mixed with some classic styles and some modern ones (including an $8000 reel). Because of its new distribution network and some offshore made product, Hardy product prices are going lower on many models.

MP
MP: Thanks for the great explanation on what is going on with Hardy!

Larry
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

MP thanks for the post.I also think it's a question of fashion.Hardy rods were in the fashion in the early 70's then it was Diamondback,then Orvis,RST...etc.
Now very few people fish Hardy in France there are very few dealers and fishermen think their rods are too expensive and old fashioned.Maybe they're wrong.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Read some of the posts on other sites from Europeans and they all want Sage, Winston, T&T and custom rods. I like Hardy glass rods but there's U.S. makers out there that leave them in the dust as far as design goes. I think the same with Sage and Winston. They're way ahead of the game compared to Hardy rods.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

We have had some discussion about Hardy Rods before. I think the problem is they want the same money, or more, for a Korean made rod than what a high end USA rod would cost. If you are paying that much money why not just get a USA rod.

Frank
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road

Hardy IMO are overpriced, however the Demon series has had a good following and its sister company, Greys, is certainly more popular in the UK for the overall price.

Here's my general opinion some on of the rods that I've tried out (at the CLA gamefair earlier this year)...

Angel and Angel TE - You might as well use a garden cane, the blanks are prone to breakage (I can already hear the cries of disbelief! ) and it looks like they've been pasted in ketchup followed by varnish. These things are way overpriced.

Marksman - Again, overpriced for what it is and the blank doesn't have a lot of 'soul', you'd be better off with a St. croix at this price. The cork is fairly rough too.

Zane - Not too bad, however you'd get mugged for the reel insert.

Demon - Perhaps the best in the 'performance' range, these have more feel in the blanks, the cork is better for the price and they don't possess too much 'bling'.

Don't get me started on the 50 warranty fee that applies in the UK. Give me a choice between a 375 Marksman and a 160 St. croix Avid, I'd take the avid any day, and it's not because of the price.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your input. I am always interested to hear opinions from over seas.

Frank
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I haven't tried a Hardy yet... However, a FFF Master Instructor that I know let me try out a GREYS he had and now I am hooked. Grey's is not over priced and the "Connectedness" I got from the 10' streamflex was great.. I even tried it side by side with a helios and felt I could feel the tug/bump quicker and better with the GREYS than the Helios...

Price is $300 vs $800 I will go for the $300..

He actually felt the $300 rod was very close his very own DEMON. for a fraction of the cost.

He did say the exactly what our UK friend says the Angle "it is way way to price for how it performs... You can get a better cast from a Greys 8 Traveling Mission 6 piece than that rod"

IF you get a chance try out the GREYS.. I sure like them and I have been trying a bunch Scott's, Sage's, Orvis's this last year. I am now converted from Scott 9' to Greys 10'.. And not because of the cast it is because how the feel of fish hits on the line transfer down the rod. And it is sad because I really like SCOTT..

Crittergetter
Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 AM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road

A quote from a guy on another forum...

"Hardy now rely on their name, not their products"

Too true...