The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: St Croix Avid or Sage Launch???

Both are american made rods produced by two of the best companys in the buis. My preferance is definitly for the avid. I think its a step up from the launch
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Just got my St. Croix Avid today. Very well finished and it feels good in the hand. I'm going to mount a BBS V with 7 wt. bass taper line to it and try it out this weekend if it will quit raining and my wife finds me a sport coat to wear to her niece's wedding. You know the drill. She picks it out and I try it on for fit. What's wrong with mail ordering clothes and hope they fit? Saves a lot of time for fishing.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

You will never regret buying that rod...truly world class.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Never say never. I got to reading about the Albright A-5 and decided that for the price it would be a good rod to keep in my truck along side my $75.00 special 20 ga. pump. I also got a free reel with the rod.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Though I've never tried the Sage, I vote for the Avid....call me biased.

The 8ft. 4wt I have is a dream to cast.

I am jonesing for a 9ft, 4pc 5wt. Gotta save the pennies....
I just picked an A804.4 up from my local shop, and frankly, I am thinking about returning it. The action is a hint moderate, but it would work pretty good for a dry fly rig where I am wanting a little more delicate presentation. In concept, it is a nice rod at a really nice length for what I want to do.

I'm having issues with the reel seat and hardware. I can't get the reel to hold still (even indoors in the warm air). I've tried cranking the thing down tighter than I would like for the longevity of the hardware and its finish. I've put 2 reels on it, and after a 18-24 casting strokes, it starts loosening up.

I'm thinking of going instead to the Sage Flight 486-4. Can anybody help me in this decision? I've got a Sage DS2 in 5-wt and a 6-wt, and they are nice rods. As I've grown in the sport, I feel more comfy in a faster action. Will there be enough difference between a Flight 486 and a DS2 590 to justify the purchase?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Sage DS2 5wt, and had reel holding issues like you describe with your
Avid. The DS2 was a great casting rod, but I returned it because of the reel issue. The shop owner told me I wasn't the first person to complain
about this. I bought my DS2 back in 2004, and only remember it as a nice
moderate-fast action rod.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rebfly,

I think if you got a Sage Flight you would be very pleased with it. It would be my pick over an Avid. I feel about the Avid just as you do but I wasn't aware of a reel seat problem. What two reels did you try on the reel seat of the Avid. If they are big and heavy that might account for the problem.

Sometimes when casting the angler will turn the reel to the side. This gives the reel momentum and causes side pressure on the reel seat. If you are one of these casters you might try keeping the reel more in line with the forward/backward motion of the rod. You might try your reel on another rod and see if you have any problems. Also make sure there is no lubricant on the rod seat or the reel seat.

Frank
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I own a four wt. Avid and LOVE it. It is my favorite rod. The softer action really lends itself to the lighter weights, 3, 4, and 5.

I also own a 6 wt. Flight for punching stuff into the wind or throwing streamers around, and it does that job very nicely as well.

As far as what I prefer to cast, my style lends itself to the Avid quite a bit.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi rebfly,

I think if you got a Sage Flight you would be very pleased with it. It would be my pick over an Avid. I feel about the Avid just as you do but I wasn't aware of a reel seat problem. What two reels did you try on the reel seat of the Avid. If they are big and heavy that might account for the problem.

Sometimes when casting the angler will turn the reel to the side. This gives the reel momentum and causes side pressure on the reel seat. If you are one of these casters you might try keeping the reel more in line with the forward/backward motion of the rod. You might try your reel on another rod and see if you have any problems. Also make sure there is no lubricant on the rod seat or the reel seat.

Frank
Well, the reels i tried were a Ross Evolution 1.5 (intended for the oufit) and a Fly Logic FLO 456. Both had the issue. I use past tense, because that rod is back and the shop, and I have done something crazy. I took my Evolution in and cast a 490 Z-axis and a 4710 TXL. I made the dreadful mistake of casting the TXL first, which was probably wrong in hindsight. Comparing a 2.375 oz. rod to a 3.0625 oz. rod ain't fair. Funny when a rod weighing just over 3 ounces feels heavy. Plus I kepting throwing tailing loops with the Z-Axis. Probably the result of peing able to put more pressure on the TXL w/o penalty.

I'm the new owner of a TXL 4710-3. If you like the Avid, you'll LOVE the TXL. St. Croix, I'll keep you in mind for gear rods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I own a four wt. Avid and LOVE it. It is my favorite rod. The softer action really lends itself to the lighter weights, 3, 4, and 5.

I also own a 6 wt. Flight for punching stuff into the wind or throwing streamers around, and it does that job very nicely as well.

As far as what I prefer to cast, my style lends itself to the Avid quite a bit.
...and I agree with you. That is what conflicted me with the whole thing. I liked the action of the blank, and the size of the rod. I'd recommend the rod, with the caveate that the owner should fit up whatever reel he/she intends to use and give the thing a thorough going-over before closing the deal. Just like FrankB2 with his DS2, its probably just a fluke thing that nobody ever heard of before. Then again, I have a history with St. Croix that is full of nit-picky stuff like this. Should the inserts on two of my spinning rod guides come out after 3 months?...should my inshore saltwater rod twist 90 degrees to the left when flexed? Regardless, at the end of the day...I'm the new owner of a TXL 4710-3. I want nothing more than a premium rod manufacturer in the midwest, but they have to start the fit and finish on their product befitting the cost they command.

Last edited by ddombos2; 02-21-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The reel seat problem is something new to me. Perhaps you got a "Friday afternoon" rod. One thing I will say about St. Croix is that they will stand behind whatever they sell. That's a good bunch up there.

I'm almost ready to cast the 7wt, if the weather would cooperate. Still a good bit of snow on the ground. I wanted to get the rod way in advance of my trip. If I cast it and don't like it, I can sell it and move on. It would be a pity, though. I do love the 4wt.

The action is slower than other rods I have, but I think it's buttery, once you get the rhythm. I'm anxious to see how it handles larger flies in the 7wt.

To each there own....