The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM

Cleep1700 is on a distinguished road
Default St. Croix Legend Elite, Sage Z Axis, or ????

Guys, I'm pretty new at this. Two years ago I took up fly fishing. I attended a fly fishing 101 class at the local junior college, have taken lessons/guided services the past two years in Colorado, and practice casting very regularly in local water here. I'm five years from retirement and know that the amount of time I am devoting to the sport now will only increase when I have unlimited time. My beginning rod has been a St. Croix Reign 9'0" 5 weight on the recommendation of a friend. I mention all of this because the opportunity to move up to better rod has been put in my lap and the St. Croix Legend Elite and Sage Z Axis have been recommended. I know I need to go to a shop and cast them (and others) to compare, but do any of you have any recommendations about these rods or others at those price points? Thanks in advance.
Craig in windy Kansas
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: St. Croix Legend Elite, Sage Z Axis, or ????

The Z-Axis could be a good fit, but its action will be a good bit different than the Reign you're used to. You'd be best off going to a shop that carries multiple great brands and get their advice on which kind of rod best suits your casting stroke. You might even be better off with something with a slower action like a Scott G2 or a Winston WT or LT.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take a look at the Sage ZXL rods as well. They are a bit more responsive
and sensitive than the Z-Axis, at least for me. Both of these rods like to do the
work for you, and don't respond well to brute force .
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I had a st croix reign rod and the z axis is totally different, its alot faster and if your not used to it , its hard to short cast it at least for me. The st croix ultra might be worth a look its slower then the elite but faster then the reign.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I love my 6 wt. Z-axis. While considered a fast rod, it is not as stiff as most fast rods so that you a feel it load. The rod has a tremendous amount of energy. Works well for dry, nymph and streamer. True, it's not as delicate as my ZXL, but it will do short casts. Great in the wind.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have sold a lot of Z-Axis rods to guys who came off of medium-fast action rods because the Z-Axis is not quite as stiff. With the right line, it's easy to throw 15 feet of line off the tip to a fish that is 30 to 40 feet away. I recommend the Rio Grand or the SA Mastery GPX.

Of course, the decision is going to be based off which rod works better for your stroke. There are a lot of good recommendations in this thread. Another rod to throw into the mix is a Winston B2X. It's another fast rod that isn't too fast.

Here's an informerical for the Sage Z-Axis.
MP
Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Thumbs up Re: St. Croix Legend Elite, Sage Z Axis, or ????

Thanks for all of the input. I was in St. Louis last weekend and went to Feathercraft where I tried out the Winston BIIX, Sage Z Axis, ZXL, and Launch, and the G. Loomis Eastfork. They didn't have the SC Legend Elite in stock. All great rods, but I kind of liked the feel of the Sage Z Axis and the GL Eastfork. Gonna try out some more this weekend.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleep1700 View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I was in St. Louis last weekend and went to Feathercraft where I tried out the Winston BIIX, Sage Z Axis, ZXL, and Launch, and the G. Loomis Eastfork. They didn't have the SC Legend Elite in stock. All great rods, but I kind of liked the feel of the Sage Z Axis and the GL Eastfork. Gonna try out some more this weekend.
Cleep,
You are doing the right thing by trying out different rods. Eventually, you will narrow it down to the rod that feels best to you.

MP
Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I went back to Feathercraft this past weekend and got to compare the SC Legend Elite with the BIIX and the Z-Axis. I like the way my cast felt with the Legend and liked the weight. I decided to buy the Legend and am looking forward to trying it out on the water. Thanks again.
Craig in windy Kansas
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 AM

Cleep,
Enjoy your new rod. I hope that you catch a lot of fish with it.

MP