The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default What Action is best for a beginner.

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about the rods that we all recommend to new fly fishers.

Most new fly casters like a medium action rod to learn with but in the long run it may not be the best choice. A person who starts with a Medium fast/fast rod finds it much easier to move up to fast or very fast rods for saltwater or other fishing. The person who starts with a medium rod, or slower, has a much harder time adjusting to fast/very fast rods.

I am starting to think that recommending a medium or slower action rod for a beginner may be a mistake. It may be easier for a fast action rod caster to slow his casting stroke for slower rods than it is for a slow action guy to speed up his stroke for fast action rods.

I don't have any proof to sustain this idea but I am banking it on the many post I have read over the years from people having problems with their casting. It is true that almost any casting problem can be fixed by instruction but most fly casters don't go that route.

I am interested in hearing what you think is the best action for a beginner and why.

Frank
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What Action is best for a beginner.

Im a true believer of med/fast rods for beginners-expert fly casters, you cant go wrong with them. In my opinion the fast action rods are becoming more of a fad, theres a time and place for them. I think telling a newbie to go TRY different rods is best, they can find out for themselves what feels best. That way also they can find a rod in there price range that fits there casting style. Telling novice or newbies to buy a Z- AXIS,Z-AXIS OR A Z-AXIS IS RIDICULOUS, BUT AGAIN THATS JUST MY OPINION!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frank,

I guess I'm lost in all the new action designations, comes with being a dinosaur I believe.
The best casting rod that I own is a 1979 Orvis 7' 9" 5wt Far & Fine, I think that is what you could call a medium - fast rod. It will do whatever you need, fast tight loop, slow wide loop, big flies, little flies, etc.

Hope that helps,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: What Action is best for a beginner.

Frank,

I agree with you about med-fast action for beginners. Sooner or later they will want something a little quicker, why not not learn with one instead of starting over later?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Rods that are billed as beginners equipment are all of a med-fast action I believe.
That's undeniable and the right way to go.
Personally, I was self taught on (very) slow action gear and I would not wish that on anyone.

On the other hand, the previous poster states;
Quote:
Sooner or later they will want something a little quicker, why not not learn with one instead of starting over later?
That's a judement call based on the experence of that gentleman, not on what's best for all anglers.
Personally, have experence with all actions of fly rods
I happen to enjoy slow acton rods in many situations and even in situations where an extra fast action is considered the 'norm', they are rarely ideal.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but fast action rods are casting rods, slower actions are fishing rods.
Take your choice, are you interested in casting, or are you a fisherman?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

What are you fishing for.................Lets size you up.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
Nice, very helpful
Thanks for participating
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,I was responsible for a fishing school for some years and I'm convinced mid fast rods are far easier to start with.Furthermore as I often swap rods with friends or relations while fishing I clearly see that someone gets used more quickly to a mid fast rod,it's not always the case with a fast or extra fast rod.
You're not an ass Rip...you're a wise angler
Ard,it won't help for it's rather difficult to find a 1979 Orvis Far&Fine nowadays
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I like to stand next to person, and yell "SLOW DOWN!" Seriously, when my wife began ff'ing, I only had fast rods. She did not do well. I bought
her a 9' Sage ZXL 6wt, and she became an instant wizard. When I bought my
first bamboo rod (7' 4wt, mod-fast for bamboo), she did great with that as well. My son had given up ff'ing because of casting, but when he was home on leave last week, he was amzaed at how well he cast the Sage ZXL 6wt.

Having said that, I suppose it really depends on the teacher and student's
ability to learn and adapt.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I am interested in hearing what you think is the best action for a beginner and why.
What's interesting is that rods are getting quicker due to advancement in rod blank technology. It's easy for rod designers to tune a blank to get the type of action they want.

With that said, there are less true medium action rods on the market. The price pointed category is full of rods of quicker actions: medium-fast and fast with medium-fast dominating the "beginner" labeled rod category.

I'm all for medium-fast rods as the best action for a beginner. Slow to medium rods can be too slow. Fast rods can be too fast. A medium-fast action will be slow enough to help the caster learn how to feel a rod load up, but it will not be so fast that the caster's timing will be off. Also from there as the caster progresses (at least with the students I taught), the caster could adapt to a medium or a fast rod with little effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
That is a good approach especially when the rod actions become fewer in the heavier weights. I sell a lot 7 and 8 (and some 9) weights to newbie bass fishermen. Most of the shop's inventory in these weights are quicker loading rods. To get the rods to load more efficiently (more down towards the midsection and butt) and throw the big deer hair flies, I sell these rods with heavier lines (usually +1, sometimes +2).

I have sold fast action rods to newby trout fishermen before. None of them have complained that the action was an issue. Usually these people have taken lessons and have developed some sort of casting stroke. Plus I always have them cast the rods if they haven't done so.

MP