The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default The end of an era, and the beginning of a new one.

My trusty dogwood canyon outfit from BP finally broke yesterday in my car on the way home from college. I took a trip to bass pro and ended up leaving with a new dogwood canyon, 7 ft. 4wt. I know it's not a great rod and real combo but I like how they cast, and better rods will come at a later date in my period of life.

But I ended up getting a spare rod tip and putting it on the six weight. Only two or three inches broke off of the very end so I'm giving it a fix try with a tip and gorilla glue.. It's worked before with a spinning rods so we'll see how it does with the long rod sometime soon.

I casted the four this evening and easily layed thiry plus foot casts so I look forward to getting it broken in this week sometime.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: The end of an era, and the beginning of a new one.

Hi lancer09,

What is important is you got a rod to keep fishing. Your old rod just broke laying there in the car, hmmm.

If there is any way to swing it I would go back for the Hobbs Creek rod. I spent some time with the staff at the Orlando Bass Pro fly shop and we both felt that the Hobbs Creek was a much better rod for the money.

It is $35 more and that can be tough for a college student but I think you will like the balance of the rod better. However, I wasn't looking at the 7' rods.

Frank
Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1

I'm with Frank here. I can 'afford' to buy what ever I want, but I've found that 'price' doesn't always equate to 'what's best.' If you can pop for the extra few dollars you'll not be disappointed.

Rods are a life time investment; I've rods that are 40 years old and I look forward to casting. Are they 'state of the art?' At one time they were; now they're a huge bundle of good memories.

And that is just what my newest rod is (delivered Friday) ... an 11' 3" full on fibreglass switch rod. Local rod builder called me (knowing I've been looking high and low for a long glass blank - "S-glass" if at all possible) and said he's found someone with 5 old (and I do believe Steve when he said these may be as old as 20 years but in perfect condition) glass rod building blanks.

'If I can get my hands on one, would you like me to build you a rod?'

'OHHHHHHHHHH YES!!!!!'

Steve 'cheated' a bit as he had Bob Meiser and Gary Anderson (if you're part of the 2-hander community you'll know just who these fellows are) 'test drive' the rod for a line match up, and then into my hands.

Can't wait for the current weather conditions to calm down a bit so I can give this Puppy a real 'fish.'

fae
Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Let me clarify, the six weights tip was already starting to crack, a break was inevitable. For the limited amount of use I think that the 4 will get, especially if my fix of the 6 works, I couldn't justify spending that little bit extra. I swung it around in the store and it felt incredibly similiar to the matching hobbs creek model, just without the same reel. Along with teh eight weight I bought earlier this winter I should have all my bases covered for what I might fish for.

After being in there though My favorite was a TFO that I tried. I liked it even more so than the sage. They had a combo I liked with the Hobbs creek real that might be my next purchase for this summer in a 5 or 7 weight.