The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM

crazyboutrivers is on a distinguished road
Default Who's crazy about a 5wt rod and why

Okay, so it's unanimous that the 5 wt Z- Axis does everything well. for that kind of money I expected to hear more superlatives like "phenomenal!", "unsurpassed!"' and " I love this rod!". For that kind of money it should stand head and shoulders above rods costing half as much or less. does it? would you guys be willing to tell me what 5 wts you love and why? If I can get a great rod for $300 to $500 I might be swayed.
for the record, I'm an angler of over 15 years experience and with pretty good skills. Most of my old rods are broken and I want to get something I'm going to love to fish with on most situations, strong yet supple, especially good in close and at medium ranges yet able to launch into a strong wind when necessary. I have strong casting skills and a somewhat fast stroke (can wait for a rod to load but don't want to wait too long).
sooooo, what do you love?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's crazy about a 5wt rod and why

You've read my short review on the Z-Axis.

With that said, forget about something that some schmuck on the internet wrote about the Z and go cast it for yourself. Cast it side by side with other rods and make the decision based on what feels best to you.

MP (fly rod schmuck)
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Im not a big fan of the 5wts. While I am sure there is folks out there who live by them. But for the fishing I do, 3wt, 6wt, 8wt and 10wt are more applicable. But an important question is raised in the costs of rods and how many fish one might catch comparable to the cost of the rod.
Does someone at the same location catch twice as many fish with a rod that costs twice as much....doubtful.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

My Orvis Trident TL 5wt., tip flex 9 footer has fished with me for trout of all stripes all over the country. I even use it in smallmouth rivers. Its a great, strong rod that throws line a country mile, but also loads close in. I've landed HUGE cutthroats in Wyoming spring creeks with it, and BIG browns in Pennsyvania. I've even used it for stripers from skiffs on Long Island Sound. And you can buy them incredibly inexpensively on fleabay. I hope I never have to try and replace it. I have several other 5wts, but I like the Trident absolutely the best.
Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite go-to rod is my Sage 9ft. 5wt. RPL. Moderate-fast action and does the job for most of my fishing. I even used it for steelhead one season, but those big "B" run steelies of the Clearwater were definitely too much for that rod to handle, so I switched to my 8wt. (it was worth a try ).

Are there just as good rods for less, sure. But, as has been already said, go and cast a few to find out what you like. I think the biggest and first question you should answer is which species of fish you will be spending your time chasing. The choice of rod weight really requires one to focus on where he will be doing the most fishing and which type of fish one is targeting.

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got some 5 wt...three Scotts a G955 a G2 905 an A2 905...a Launstorfer 9ft and a Quarrow 9ft....I love them all...just try to choose the one which will be the best according to the place I'm going to fish and the weather(wind)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

My home waters are the North Fork River in Missouri and the White River in Arkansas. Both of these rivers are western style- wide, fast and fairly deep. I purchased the perfect rod for this type of water- a Sage RPL 10ft 5wt. This rod excels in high stick nymphing, swinging woolys, throwing massive line mends and roll casting like a champ. Basically, it was like a Switch rod before anyone knew what the heck a switch rod was.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'm just plain crazy...the 5wt just goes along for the ride sometimes.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerka View Post
Does someone at the same location catch twice as many fish with a rod that costs twice as much....doubtful.
There are many reasons why a person chooses a particular rod, most are carefully made reasoned decisions. Some of these reasons may be personal and they owe an explanation to no one. A few may be bad decisions but that is a story unto itself.

Will he/she catch twice the fish probably not, BUT can the rod he/she selected allow them to have twice as much fun as compared to a different rod in their hands...Absolutely! I don't think fly fishing is a comparative sport (his rod/my rod), but rather a sport with few comparisons.

This is not directed at you Nerka, it is only a generalization of my particular thoughts.

Dave
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I honestly prefer a 6. A 6 weight will throw a 22 midge just about as well as a 5wt., but it will throw a meaty streamer or size 4 hex much better. I also use a 6 for great lakes steal. I would love to see a 5 be that versatile! As far as what rod to buy...unless you cast them for yourself...it doesn't matter. I prefer smoother rods like Legend Ultras and mid flex Orvis rods. Winston's BMXII was money but they are no more sadly. You make like super fast rods...no one can decide that but you.