The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default Tenkara Rods

I was going through a blog recently and noticed a reference to Tenkara fishing, and a new company in the US distributing these traditional Japanese fly fishing rods. Turns out a Japanese friend sent me one of these-- made by Daiwa-- about 20 years ago without any explanation, and it has been sitting in a closet as I didn't know what to do with it. It is about 12 feet long, telescopes, and has a small section of line tied to the tip with a stopper knot on the end.

I tied some furled leader (12 ft) on the end with tippet, but can't get it to cast--- rod seems too stiff to properly lay-out the leader. I ordered the tippet from the US Tenkara company, and so maybe (?) it is made for their more supple rods. On ebay, I noticed sections of fly line (looks like 1 or 2 weight) with loops on both ends being billed as Tenkara line---- I wonder if I need to go to a system like that, maybe with a short leader or tippet attached.

Do any of you have experience with Tenkara fishing ?-- what are your recommendations? I am interested in trying it out on a favorite small meadow stream where stealth is the key-- might be just the thing for this type fishing.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Tenkara Rods

Hi mhclayton,

I think BigCliff tried one of the Tenkara Rods. Maybe he will fill us in on his experience. I did a search and here is Cliff's Thread.

Frank
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The leader/line that TenkaraUSA sells for their rods is essentially a 10'6" furled leader (likely some unique construction ideally suited to their rods) to which you attach 3-4' of 5x or lighter tippet. I was surprised at how stiff the rod I got was (12' Yamame model) but I'm definitely able to lay out all the line with it.

Your verbiage makes me wonder if it is in fact a furled leader you're using, as a 12' furled leader is an EXTREMELY rare thing. If you do have an actual 12' furled leader and are adding 3' of tippet to that, you may have too much line in total to cast effectively. All of the instruction I've come across on Tenkara line construction suggests using a total line length (line/leader and tippet) roughly equal to the length of the rod.

You could likely get more power to turn over a fly and to load the rod by using a section of fly line, but I think you would find it drooping quite a bit between the tip of the rod and where your line enters the water, due to its weight. Also due to the VAST variance of diameters and weights of floating fly lines, it could be tricky to find the optimum combination.

You'll find LOTS of information on this website www.tenkarausa.com (but the tippet they are selling is just rebranded Frog Hair tippet and isn't likely to fix any of your troubles)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Cliff-- Thanks for your reply. You are right, the furled leader is a little over 10feet. I tried trimming back the tippet so that the line and tippet are about the same total length as the rod, and it is in better balance. I will also take some level 15# line with me, and try that as a backup, if needed.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

That is fly fishing the way I would like to do it... when wheelchair bound!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Not all long telescopic rods from the far east are necessarily Tenkara rods, There are rods that look somewhat similar used for a number of different applications. Some are used to more or less dapple live bait.

As you experiment, the one thing you will find is that the feel of the casting stroke is quite a bit different when casting a "tenkara" set up vs. the feel of casting a regular fly rod/reel. With the very long rod and relatively short line, it is very easy to over power the cast. It's almost more of using the rod to direct the line rather than impart energy to it via the cast. Wish I had a better way to describe it to you.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Actually if you go to the Tenkara USA website they have alot of info and videos there. The lines look like furled leaders but are not, they are the actual line. They are looped so you can put a piece of tippet on as well. I saw a show on T.V that examined the fishing style and went through some of the history. It is a pretty cool method just in simplicity alone.
I was originally turned on to it when friends on facebook started sending this stuff to me. Now I am looking at buying a setup to try and some smaller mountain streams.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Kerry, I can think of some mountain streams that meander through meadows that would be so ideally suited to Tenkara its silly. Its a very fun way to fish, and the portability of the rig is surprisingly amazing to experience.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I would think that it would adapt itself well to fly fishers who have lost, or lost the use of a hand.
I am also building a horsehair line thins winter and I think it might work well for that line as well.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 PM

I wonder if my Daiwa rod is really built for fly fishing-- maybe this IS a dapping rod for fishing impaled insects. I tried it out today in one of my favorite meadow steams, the San Antonio in the Valles Caldera National Preserve near Los Alamos. This is a volcanic crater 35 miles wide that gives birth to two spring creeks, so it is indeed wide-open and there is no place to hide if you are fishing. To give some background, when this baby erupted, it flung volcanic material to Kansas, and is still an area with a lot of geothermal activity. It is usually windy, and you can tell the experienced fishers by who shows up in the parking lot with kneepads.

My usual rig here is a Scott G2 5 weight with a 9 foot leader. I use a 5 mostly because of the wind. The G makes even the usual 12" Browns feel like trophy fish. I have used a Loomis Metolius HLS 4 weight, but a lot of fish became airborne when I set the hook, and it just wasn't as much fun. The 3 weights are OK for about the first 45 minutes, and then the wind starts.

My usual strategy is to crawl to within casting distance and cast blindly over the grass into the stream which is 5-15 feet wide, or to crawl into a depression into the streambank and then cast over a gooseneck bend where the fish can't see me-- these casts may be 15-40 feet. Needless to say, hitting a 6 foot stream in a howling wind at this distance can be a challenge. Most of the hook setting is based on the sound of the take rather than actually seeing the rise.

I found that I just couldn't get enough reach with this rod--- the rod itself is 10 feet, and then I could maybe get another 8 feet beyond this max with the fly. Within this range, the fish usually saw me first and left wakes as they vanished. Maybe this isn't a true test, since it is like fishing a stream running across a parking lot, but I very quickly went back to my G2. I may need to try one of the Tenaka USA rods. Thanks to everyone for your input. MC