The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for input on new rods

I bought a 9' 8wt redington crosswater for steelhead carp and stripers in the ohio river and a 6' 5wt cabellas tqr for a bellycrawling tight spaces trout/small bass rod. How are these rods? Anybody used either? Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Looking for input on new rods

Hi troutbum17,

I think it has a lot to do with your skill level. The Redington Rod is a good choice and will work well for Steelhead. The 6' rod will be a nightmare if you don't already know how to cast. It is not a good length to learn on. The shortest rod I would consider is a 7'6" but there are many who like to fish those short 6' rods.

Frank
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

Ive been fly fishing for 7 years and didnt seem to have a problem with casting it today, i feel i have a pretty good cast. It was kind of a stiff rod but roll casts like a dream.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi troutbum17,

That is great. I was afraid you were a beginner and that would have been hard.

Frank
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM

gillh2o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi troutbum17,

I think it has a lot to do with your skill level. The Redington Rod is a good choice and will work well for Steelhead. The 6' rod will be a nightmare if you don't already know how to cast. It is not a good length to learn on. The shortest rod I would consider is a 7'6" but there are many who like to fish those short 6' rods.

Frank
I have been using 5ft 5wt Lil streamer rod ( slow action) and it works pretty well in tight quarters. Th longer you use it the better you get at setting the hook. I also use medium action 7 ft 9 in Orvis Clearwater and 9 ft St Croix Avid rods. I'm not an expert caster but it was not that big of a deal. Tight lines!