The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 11:04 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default 4 piece backup /travel rod

well, ive had a fantastic spring, had some fabuluse days and look for more to come.. the ds and ds 2 2 piece rods have served me well.. i have an impressive stack of fly rods in the corner for probably the price of one g loomis streamdance hls yada yada yada.. i was starting to fall for the loomis until i was reading on a salt fishing forum about the rpl.. one guy said the fast rods were hard on the arm and etc, but the rpl was a delight to fish all day... im looking at a new (store bought) 583-4 ds2 for a reasonable price for backup/trave/vacation.. is this rod a good rod, or should i wait for a 590-4 rpl??? .. it seems for me the medium fast actions work well.. ill also need a 790-4 and it seems for the price the best buy in this class would be the launch? i would like a 790-4 rpl but it would be more than the launch and not have a warranty? any advice would be aprecieated.. dave.. (ps, when i go fishing the first half hour my hand goes to sleep, and with continued fishing it eases up and goes away.. probably carpel tunnel/ arthritus.. im not willing to spend alot to find out i cant use a fast/stiff rod, any information on this also would be appreciated).. if it is recomended i can wait for a 8ft 6" rpl 4pc 5 wt as Doug recommends, at probably a pretty heftyprice as it seems a little rare..
Old 05-21-2006, 12:10 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 4 piece backup /travel rod

Your hand could be going to sleep if you are holding your rod to tightly, thus restricting blood flow. Try a softer grip.

The launch is a nice rod. I bought a Winston Vapor from The Full Creel in a 6wt 4 piece and love it. It is a faster action rod and is smooth as silk when throwing either long distance or in close quarters.

Check out the Vapor, I think you will be impressed.