The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Evaluating the Sage VT2 9' 7wt. Kenai Test

If you have been reading posts of mine over the past few years then you know I have a few different fly rods. I have a thing about new stuff, I like my old waders even though I have a new pair of Simms G3's in the closet. I fish with my old jacket even though it may leak in a downpour. I like old stuff, I like my gear to look used but not abused if you know what I mean.

After owning a Sage VT2 (' 4pc 7wt for over a year and never taking it out fishing or even lawn casting I used it yesterday. You may recall seeing it for sale in our classifieds section. I tried to sell it for almost two months here and on Craig's' list here in Alaska and no one bit.

Here is what I found; the rod and reel (a Lamson Velocity 3.5) offered a perfectly balanced outfit and after you get used to the vivid metallic blue finish of the rods blanks I found it to be attractive albeit the only blue rod I've ever owned.

Casting: 30' to 50' range casts with a size 1.5 salmon hook dressed as a streamer fly was effortless! I had a rather large split shot crimped to the leader three foot from the fly and it seemed to have no negative influence or the rods performance. Speaking strictly regarding the power that is available and stored in this rods blank I did not even scratch the surface of the reserves. I will be using this as my trout rod in the 2010 season and for any winter fishing I may do.

I caught two male silver salmon (God bless them for their aggressive behavior) and the reels drag was more than adequate. I hooked a very large rainbow trout in the river also and the rod was more than good considering the weight of the fish and the heavy water conditions I was forced to play it in. The trout came off the hook! I would love to be able to show a picture of a huge Kenai River rainbow here but the combination of the distance between me and the river (154 miles one way) and the fact that I'm able to land smaller fish but have had less than favorable results with the salmon sized fish that this river can offer.

If you are considering a Sage VT2 I would give the rod my stamp of approval. The pretty blue shafts failed to bring in that trout but I was able to savor two spectacular tail walking, cartwheeling displays of fitness before our relationship came to an end.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-28-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fine tune
Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evaluating the Sage VT2 9' 7wt. Kenai Test

It's a shame that you had to keep the rod and reel. At least you are enjoying it. A lot of credit doesn't get put on the VT2. It's quick enough to throw bigger flies and has plenty of backbone. There has been a rumor that the rod is an old VPS painted blue with newer hardware. I can't confirm that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Your Lamson is probably one of the best values in the reel market. It is beautifully machined with a nice finish. It also has the smooth drags found in the higher end ULA Force and Litespeed reels.

I hope that you catch many more fish with your rig. Also I hope that you get a second round with that large Rainbow Trout!

MP
Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ard,

Thanks for your report. I think you remember the ones that get away longer than the ones you land. I can remember just about every big fish I have ever lost. That doesn't count Salmon as we always loose some of those every trip.

Frank
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey guys,

Mosca,

I really don't mind keeping the rod and reel. It is the most modern outfit I own. Together they even look kinda cool, the reels anodized finish nearly matches the reel seat hardware. I will be fishing the river when ever we have mild weather between now and the big freeze. The distance is a problem but if I leave home around 0:600 I can be there by 10:00 and fish till 2:00 PM. four hours is enough in the cold.

Frank,

I am like you on that, I remember the big ones that come loose. I have caught big fish and never said anything about them to anyone but when I loose a big one I whine for weeks.

Those silvers were both black headed males. Really colored up and still they will chase and grab a fly. I had to quit fishing the Little Su several weeks ago because all I could catch were spawning salmon even though I was desperately trying to sort out a couple trout.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Very cool fishing trip report! Sorry you didn't land that big rainbow, but there is always a next time.

Larry