The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 AM

fly_guy is on a distinguished road
Default rod for fishing back streams.

hi everyone,
right now i have a 9ft rod and reel combo from scientific anglers. i have been fishing about a year now and want to get in on some of our awsome little streams. i searched around and i found a 6ft rod from orvis (im 14, i dont have 400 bucks for it) and i looked at cabelas and the shortest they have is 7'6. anyone know of anything for a cheap price?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod for fishing back streams.

Look around for an Eagle Claw Featherlight
They're a decent, cheap, fiberglass rod that come in a 6'6" 5wt and a 7' 5/6wt.
They use to sell them at W*lmart but I think you'll have to look around or get one on line.
They're only around 20 bucks and worth it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

TFO Buglauncher! The 7' 4/5wt. About $80.

Elkhorn Nomad 803-4 8' 4pc 3wt. $149.

Both of these are excellent small stream choices at the low end consumer price point of the graphite fly rod market.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would suggest getting a 7'-8' rod. 6' rods are so short they're tough to cast overhead and near worthless for roll casting.

I've had a 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight and I can't really recommend it. (action is downright floppy) HOWEVER- they made some big changes to that rod for the 2010 model year and the new version is supposed to be MUCH nicer to fish- http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com...gle-Claws.html

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have and regularly use a 6'6" Featherlight
I use it on the tight brook trout streams here in my area. Brooks that would be too narrow to use a 7'6" rod on.
On my my rod I use a 4WF line most often but a 3DT works too
I don't find it 'floppy' at all, but I'm use to fishing fiberglass. In fact my 3 favorite trout rods are all glass

My Feather Light however is a vintage 1963 Wright & McGill, not the modern Eagle Claw version
Last year, I did buy and fish a 7' Eagle Claw when Walmart was closing them out.
While it was not as nice a rod as my W&M, it was a decent casting rod and worth every cent of the 10 bucks I paid for it.

Edit
I should probably add that when it's really tight, with my Feather Light I can hold the rod parallel with the water, reel held behind my back effectively 'choking up' 6-8 inches, and still cast with only a foot of line out of the tip-top
Try that with a graphite rod

Last edited by Rip Tide; 11-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

You can get a Featherlight from Troutlet.com for about $24.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be an antiestablishment protester but....I always fish small streams even when they're overgrown with my 9ft ot 9,5 rod...far better for rollcast,dapping,crossbow cast and to control the linesometimes use my 10ft#4 too
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM

will a 5wt be too heavy duty?
im talking georgia backstreams. but i do like the tfo so if a 5wt isnt too much im going with it.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I don't want to be an antiestablishment protester but....I always fish small streams even when they're overgrown with my 9ft ot 9,5 rod...far better for rollcast,dapping,crossbow cast and to control the linesometimes use my 10ft#4 too

Although all of my UL rods are 7'6-8' I would have to agree with this. I mostly fish small backcountry streams. I have yet to find any place that I can’t fish my rods on. To the OP have you tried looking on eBay for good deals? Too bad you didn't post this thread sooner I just sold a TFO 3wt setup (with reel and XPS line) for a 100 bucks.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM

oooo man, and you just had to tell me huh?
lol i think im going with that tfo.