The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Location: toledo ohio but have a place in michigan by the maple river
24links24 is on a distinguished road
Default what fly rod should i buy under $200

im looking for a 8wt 9wt or a 10wt lenth 9' to 11'

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

post any ideas with 3 peices or more
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what fly rod should i buy under $200

Hi 24,

This can be a matter of how well you can cast and adapt to a rod. I have 2 different 9' 9 weight rods. One was sold by Orvis and was pretty expensive and the other I bought off eBay for under 65 dollars. The 65 dollar rod was made and sold under the label "Badger Custom Tackle" from Lacrosse Wisconsin I think. The point is that I can cast equally well with either rod. The badger has caught some salmon and did not snap under the strain so I figure it's a good rod. The rod game has changed with all the blanks that flood the market. It is a matter of whether you are willing to try a really affordable rod or not.

Another thing to consider is what are you going to cast, are you using weight, and how far do you want to hurl what ever it is on your leader. If you are throwing weight then I would not be so worried about the "feel" of the rod because my rods all feel the same if you tie a big fly and a bunch of split shot to the line.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM

well ill be pike fishing with it sooo
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Sage Launch for 169bux.. and i love it
Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM

just bought a custom built 8wt from some guy in georgia for $91 its suppose 2 b 4 ocean fishing i also bid on some nice 3wts but didnt get em got beat at last 10 sec if i like the 8wt ill ask him to make me a 3wt

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.hit newer 2 c another pic of it
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

I just got an Echo Carbon in 4wt 8'. Echo is making a name for themselves. They also make an Ion that is not much more expensive. St. Croix's Imperial was my second choice.

-Forrest
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

Sounds like for the money you can't beat an Allen Nano Ti. As light as a Hydros and 1/3 of the price. I have one coming
Sounds like one will be in the yellowstoneangler 8wt shootout coming soon.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

The truth is it all depends on the action, that you like and that suits you best, as well as what you will be throwing . Some (like me) prefer moderate actions, but there are somethings that a moderate action simply can't do as well as moderate-fast or fast action rods can do thats why recently I purchased a couple Nano Ti rods from Justin the owner of Allen & Co a 5wt and a 6wt. Those rods are likely the highest quality rods I've ever owned. My suggestion would be to go into a fly shop and try casting several rods with different actions if you find that you like a fast action rod then personally I'd contact Justin about to find out if he has any Nano Ti's available he can sell to you.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.