The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Launch and FLi opinions

I was curious as to how much of a difference you think there is between the Sage Launch and the FLi? According to the Sage website the FLi is supposed to be a fast action rod and the Launch a medium-fast rod. I picked up a 4 wt Scott rod at my local pro shop and it was about a flexible as a 2x4 compared to the 4 wt FLi which is supposed to be a fast action rod as well. I'm thinking that a correct action rating would be the Launch is a medium and the FLi is more of a medium-fast. What say you?

On a side note I'm thinking of using a 4 wt 8'-0" medium action rod with floating line for dry flying streams and a 5 wt 8'-6" or 9'-0" fast action rod for nymphing streams and float tubing lakes. So I'm trying to get my set up dialed in. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:57 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Launch and FLi opinions

i looked for the same answeres a couple weeks ago and here is what i found.. i am not a great caster, im not even a good fly fisherman but here is what i found and its worth what youve paid for it.. its hard for me to belive the fli is stiffer than the launch, the launch felt clubbish to me after getting used to the ds2 and ds rods.. the fli is very nice and smooth, the dealer here after i tried the ds2, the fli, and the launche said it (fli) was too good of a rod for the money.. meaning he was loosing sales by fisherman being satisfied with it insteread of buying the 600 dollar rods.. he than gave me my second lesson that day, and tought me alot about casting, and he took all the work out of it for me as i was pumping more line and getting zero performance.. he toght me how to work it out to the head then shoot the rest of the line.. it only takes one or two castes to get max distance.. after i was getting the hang of it he brought out the winston bllx (boron?) fly rod 5 weight is what we were throwing in a 9 foot rod in the parking lot.. the line becouse of my lesson cast effortlessly, and becouse of the winston laid out flat and strait about 6-9 yards further than the other rods.. i think it had alot to do with oversized guides or somehting, but no hand/arm shock whatsoever .. you cant precive the difference tho without trying each over and switching back and fourth, and haveing my casting problems corrected as i went.. i have carpel tunnel, and old age itis...,, after casting awhile the launch gave me a sore wrist,more clubish of allof them, the ds2 was next in comfort, the fli was definitly best for the money and wintson was very, very nice.. iwill probably get one when i can justify the cost.. .so there it is, dont bother sending the 2 cents becouse you will probably have paid too much.. dave...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

I own a sage Launch 590-4, and I find the action is quite variable, I can shoot really fast and get the line out there then slow it up to about a medium speed to get my accuracy. I'll tell you this, you can't go wrong with the sages, they're amazing amazing rods. I've fished with 3 sages (i've only ever owned this one) and used my friends $400 g-loomis and every sage has been wonderful. I'd say your best bet is to go to the store and cast them, and see which you feel most comfortable with. I'm glad I bought mine even though I couldn't cast it worth a flip at the store. It was really windy, and I hadn't fished in over 6 months, and when the last time you fished was like your 4th time your casting really bites, but i'm extremely happy with my Launch, but i'm just happy to be fishing.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

It's over. I finally made a final decision in my rod selection. My local pro shop guys are still probably looking over thier shoulders for me returning another rod! After trying out thier entire stock of Sage, Echo, Scott, Winston and Reddington fly rods in 100+ degree heat in the parking lot I narrowed my search down to 2 rods. I was tossed up between the Winston Vapor and the Sage FLi. The Sage FLi has a light feel to it and I liked the faster action, but it doesn't come in a 8'-0" 4wt-4 piece rod. The Winston Vapor performed a little better for me and also felt light in my hand as well. End result, a Winston Vapor 4wt-4 piece rod and a Galvin OB-3 reel with headstart fly line for me.