The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Scott G2 Fly Rod

I am looking for some first-hand information on the Scott G2.

Background Info in case it might help:
I fish Colorado tailwaters almost exclusively using light 6X and 7X tippet. I spend 75% of my time nymphing, 20% dry fly, 5% other. Fish are in the 10 inch to 24 inch range. I walk and wade, and I rarely need to make a cast over 50 feet, most are closer to 25. I fish probably 75 days a year. I am looking for a rod with a soft tip to protect tippet but a strong butt section to turn big fish.

The rod I am looking at is the 8' 8" 4 weight. Anybody use one, even if it is in a different length and weight? What do you like or dislike about it? Any user knowledge might help.

Gary
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scott G2 Fly Rod

I've been thinking on how to answer this since yesterday. As much as I enjoyed the 8'8" 4 weight, I would use the 9' 5 weight G2. First the extra 4" will help in the nymphing aspect. You have a touch more line control. The longer length also roll casts nicer than the shorter length. The tip is still plenty soft, and the flex point on the rod is at the midsection, so it can absorb plenty of shock for fine tippet protection. Lastly there is more butt strength to horse around larger fish.

MP
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Thanks MP. Good solid advice. Around here, the trend has been to move more toward 4 weights, but I hate following trends just for the sake of being in vogue. I think it is because so many rods are stiffer at the tips these days.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi gjcordray,

I think Mosca has given you good advise. If you are nymph fishing 75% of the time then you will appreciate a longer 5wt. My nymph rod is a 9'6" 5wt.

I was wondering why you are using such light tippets for nymph fishing. With nymph fishing a 4X tippet works just fine for me. Occasionally I might use a 5X tippet but only for a tiny dropper.

Frank
Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a G2 905,and I love it,I use it with a dt4 or wf4 line,it's a great all around rod to fish on dry and light nymphs.As MP said it's better than a 8ft to control the line but also for rollcasting and dapping.The tip will enable you to use thin tippets but also to land big fish.In my opinion it's the perfect tool for your fishing.
Have a look on ebay....I Bought mine(new) for nearly half its price
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I've got a G2 905,and I love it,I use it with a dt4 or wf4 line,it's a great all around rod to fish on dry and light nymphs.As MP said it's better than a 8ft to control the line but also for rollcasting and dapping.The tip will enable you to use thin tippets but also to land big fish.In my opinion it's the perfect tool for your fishing.
Have a look on ebay....I Bought mine(new) for nearly half its price
Frank: The issue is that Gary fishes a lot of Colorado tailwaters and they get hammered with fishing pressure. Like Gary when I'm fishing CO tailwaters it is 6x and if I have to I will go to 7x. I do like the idea of using a longer rod for nymthing. Personally, I use a 9' but sometimes wish I had a longer rod for mending.

Larry
Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

I figured fishing pressure had a lot to do with it. I have fished the San Juan a lot and it has unbelievable pressure. Subsurface fishing there works with 4X most of the time for me. I don't even use Fluro unless I just happen to pull it out. Different story with dry flies.

Frank
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Thanks MP. Good solid advice. Around here, the trend has been to move more toward 4 weights, but I hate following trends just for the sake of being in vogue. I think it is because so many rods are stiffer at the tips these days.
I think in terms of tippet protection, a 5wt G2 is likely equal to most high end 4wts out there (Z-Axis, Zero Gravity, etc).

And like JBB said, a G2 will give you the option of fishing it with a 4wt line, while most other rods won't.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I think in terms of tippet protection, a 5wt G2 is likely equal to most high end 4wts out there (Z-Axis, Zero Gravity, etc).

And like JBB said, a G2 will give you the option of fishing it with a 4wt line, while most other rods won't.
Was expecting to see you here BigI haven't got my free rod yet...what about you?
More seriously you can even use the G2 with a very thin parallel silk line without problem.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I need to talk to the guy at my local fly shop about the length. He is a good friend and had some of his own theories on the 8' 8" length.

As for the light tippets, Frank, Larry is dead on. The water clarity, fishing pressure, and very small flies makes 6X mandatory and 7X a good bet in many situations. However, there are plenty of places to fish 5x and if you are stripping a streamer, 4X will do.

Anyway, I have never owned a Scott, but everything I have ever heard has been so positive. I am going to do some hands on research this weekend. Probably won't make a decision until I get some more cash.

thanks everyone. Any other advice is always welcome.