The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Redington RS4

Does anyone know if the Redington RS4 9092 is rated for Salt Water? They have the 4 piece listed as Salt Water (RS4 9094) but the same rod with the same handle (B style) in a 2 piece is listed without that designation- seems like the same rod.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Redington RS4

Hey Red Owl,

How have you been? Been awhile since I've seen you post. I don't have your answer but I do have a thought on this; if the rod is long enough and heavy enough it'll work wherever you want to use it. I have fished half of the rods I own in the surf and none are 'Rated' salt water rods.

I believe the rod manufacturers are all going off the chart with all their different models of rods. Think about it, you can buy a rod called a price point rod, or a value rod, or a quality rod with a set of alpha numeric characters adorning the butt section along with the Makers Mark! So what's the deal if they are all from the same company and they are all a six weight? Is the $169.99 rod junk while the $599.99 rod is worth using? What about the poor schmuck who buys the Price Point Rod at $379.95, could he have done better or did he get ripped off because the low end rod will cast just as well in his hand?

I really liked it when we weren't trying to split hairs. You bought a 5 or 6wt for trout and an 8 or 9wt for pike, salmon and about everything else. I know that some people will take issue with me and retort that certain rods certainly are better that others. This has always been the case and I do not argue against this reasoning. I do however profess that we are falling into a marketing trap when we constantly look to advertising in the magazines and the gear reviews for guidance on what is right for us.

If the price is right I would buy the rod and fish wherever I want with it, salt, fresh, brackish. whatever. just rinse off the hardware if you dunk it or get sprayed all day.

Ard
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Red Owl,
You can use the two piece rod for saltwater. Just give it a good rinsing when you are done using it. I think that your confusion lies in that Redington has a saltwater outfit with the 909-4 rod.

There are a bunch of reasons for Redington marketing its RS4 909-4 saltwater outfit. First, it's a four piece rod. Try traveling on an airplane with a two piece rod. Four piece rods can be taken onto the plane as carry on or packed nicely in checked luggage. Next is the line. It is designed not to wilt in the tropical heat. The leader is also a little heavier for saltwater species.

I hope that clears thing up for you.

MP
Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the input- appreciate it. Originally I didn't think you needed a special rod for salt but then a guy in a store said the reel seat area needed to be anodized aluminum to resist salt water and then I wasn't sure what was what. By and large I take pretty good care of my gear- washing the rod down after a day's fishing is no big deal.
I think Lee Wulff once cast a fly line without a rod- for Atlantic Salmon- so, I agree about a lot of the equipment today may be a matter of splitting hairs- a lot (most?) is probably better than the gear of yesteryear. There was a book about Ted Williams fishing for the big three (Atlantic Salmon, Tarpon, and Bonefish) - At least that was the title if I recall correctly. In any event on the Salmon- it looked like he was using a Metalist Reel and fiberglass rod. I've been told that the Redington rods aren't that bad and unless you move up into a higher level of casting ability they ought to be fine- so....I'll probably give one a try.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Red Owl,

The RS$ is a good fishing rod. When you rinse the rod make sure you screw the reel lock back and forth. You don't want the salt to build up in the nooks and crannies on the reel seat. Also pull the fly line off the reel and rinse the reel good and get all the salt off the fly line. You don't have to pull all of the backing off down to the spool but get all of the line that has been exposed to the salt water.

If you want to support NAFFF call Todd at (937) 434-8472. He fishes the Redington line and can answer any questions. Or, check out his ReelFlyRod site. Free shipping and Todd is a great guy to work with.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks- I think you can buy a devise to quickly take off a line and store it on another spool but I could probably make one just as easy. I am figuring that since I'm a fanatic about keeping my gear in as good shape as possible- for as long as I can- that I'll do that and run the line through a bucket of fresh water while I'm doing it- it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and is probably good for the line as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I should mention that within my rather colorful resume there were a period of years spent in the employ of a large East Coast advertising agency. If it sometimes seems that I am predisposed to argue against marketing of the newer bigger, better versions of things, that may lie at the heart of the argument.

Sorry
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Thanks- I think you can buy a devise to quickly take off a line and store it on another spool but I could probably make one just as easy. I am figuring that since I'm a fanatic about keeping my gear in as good shape as possible- for as long as I can- that I'll do that and run the line through a bucket of fresh water while I'm doing it- it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and is probably good for the line as well.
I use a portable line winder by Struble. It unspools lines into larger relaxed coils. After a saltwater trip, I always unspool my lines and soak them in a bucket of freshwater. After the lines dry off, I place them in zip lock bags for storage. I still have some 5 to 8 year old saltwater lines that are still in great shape. Keep in mind that these lines only have about 10 to 30 fishing days on them.

Click the image to open in full size.

The line winder comes in handy when I use the reel with different lines. I have an Abel Big Game 3N that I use on my 8 weight for both fresh and salt. Currently it has a Rio Outbound Short line for topwater Striper and LMB fishing. If I go to the Northern Yucatan next summer, that line will be replaced with a Scentific Anglers Mastery Redfish Taper (it throws baby Tarpon flies beautifully).

MP
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM

That's pretty neat looking. Do you leave the line on the devise while soaking in fresh water?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
That's pretty neat looking. Do you leave the line on the devise while soaking in fresh water?
I remove the line off of the winder. I use those twisty ties that are used to hold new lines together while they are on spools. If you need a supply of those ties, just ask the guy at your local fly shop. I'm sure he has a bunch of them sitting around.

I use loop to loop connections from backing to fly line. This makes line changes much easier.

MP