The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 PM

hungup is on a distinguished road
rod and reel set up

I'm fairly new to fly fishing, i've done a little fishing on a piece of junk fiberglass rod that i found laying around in my parents house, but now i'm looking to upgrade. Nothing too fancy but I was wondering how anyone feels about a TFO pro series 8'6" 4wt and a ross cimmaron large arbor reel as a decent setup to expand my fishing career with. I'm looking at the TFO mainly because I have a friend who is very happy with his. Thanks for your input, I need it.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: rod and reel set up

That is definitely a high quality set-up, but we would need to know a little more about where you will be using it in order to say if that's an ideal set up. That would be an ideal set up for a river like the Eagle in Colorado, and some of the medium/large rivers in the east. Might be ideal for the Hooch near Atlanta as well.

For big rivers with fast water, tight brushy streams, or for throwing Bass flies, you would be better off with a different set up. Let us know what you're fishing for and where you'll be fishing and we can better tell you what would be ideal.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:00 PM

hungup is on a distinguished road

I'll be doing most of my fishing around taos on rivers like the red river and the cimarron.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That rod will be pretty close to perfect. A 9' 4 or 5wt would be better for nymphing, and a 8' 3wt would be better for the dry fly work, but that makes a 8'6" 4wt a great middle ground between the two. You would also be just fine with the regular cimarron reel. I've got one and continue to love it after 5 years of lots of use.

Make sure to get a good flyline too. A crappy line provides more frustration down the road than it does savings when you buy it. This onehttp://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=234 in avocado, or this one http://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=240 would be great choices. This one is also great, but will load your rod a little more heavily http://www.frontrangeanglers.com/sho...7d2d16fd248bdb

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hungup,
Big Cliff is dead on with his info.

I own the TFO Pro 8'6" 4wt. and I really love it. It is quickly becoming my favorite rod. I have the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor on mine and believe that it is a very good reel for the money. Everyone wants a Ross. I know I do but it has a steeper price. I got my Orvis reel because the fly shop was going out of business at 40% off.

Again, the TFO Pro is a great rod.

Thanks,
Terry