The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 3 weights...

KS.

I like the looks of those little Hardys. I would have one but I can't justify any more light tackle rods where I live. I am always looking at another 7,8,9wt but keep hold of my light rods for trout fishing on some small waters near home. I did however sell that St Croix 3wt a few years back, too fast.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've done quite a bit of bush-whacking over the years and usually used a Scott 'G', 6' 10" 3 weight or a Winston 8' 4 weight TMF. The small 2 weight I have has been in retirement for a few years now because of its limitations in being so small and light weight.
I have a hankering for a short 5-6 weight for tossing bushy flies, tandem rigs or indicators in the rhodo tunnels at a wide range of distances.
It looks as though some rod makers are bringing them back again.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Like the little 5'3" Fenwick...;-)
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I've done quite a bit of bush-whacking over the years and usually used a Scott 'G', 6' 10" 3 weight or a Winston 8' 4 weight TMF. The small 2 weight I have has been in retirement for a few years now because of its limitations in being so small and light weight.
I have a hankering for a short 5-6 weight for tossing bushy flies, tandem rigs or indicators in the rhodo tunnels at a wide range of distances.
It looks as though some rod makers are bringing them back again.
At the FFF Conclave in Loveland this year, I cast a 6' 9wt bamboo. Awesome rod! It is a specialty rod built for Atlantic Salmon fishing in New England and Canada, where I was told it is a tool of choice among discriminating salmon fishermen.

Then a good friend of mine shows up at the FFF Conclave in Mountain Home this October with a 6' 9wt bamboo he has built for another friend of mine for carp fishing. I also cast that rod. The maker himself bet me I couldn't roll cast it effectively on grass. I won. And it was easy for all of us to cast to very respectable distances, even in the wind.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't 6' what Lee Wulff used?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here a video of Lee Wulff using his 6' rod on salmon. He switches rods at the
2:40m point:
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 AM

I love that vid!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's Part Two:

Lee continues to use the 6' foot rod when the fishing commences after
2 minutes of hanging around cabin. He was really able to wield that little rod!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

The 7' F-Series Scott is a sweet rod; it took me a while to get the hang of the action after fishing graphite for so many years--- it was like being a kid again, fishing during the mid-60's. It is very nicely finished, and expensive compared to some of the others in the group, but often available on auction sites at about 60% off new list price in great condition. Rumor has it that there may be an 8' F-series in 5 weight next year.

Once I stopped trying to overpower it and let it do its' job, it lay out the line with authority. I love this rod for fishing small mountain streams here in NM for native Rio Grande Cutts, and have caught a few big fish with it. For a 3 weight, it handled them well.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 AM

LeoCreek is on a distinguished road

There are lots of nice small stream rods out there. I really prefer fiberglass myself.

I've heard that the new Hardy fiberglass composite rods (mostly glass) are very nice fishing tools. I believe they are made in China or Korea to Hardy specs, and while there is nothing really wrong with that, I've seen some examples of poor quality control in several photos of the rods.
- For example, on a 7' 3wt model the model name was written "The Stream and was missing the second "
- On another one (the 7'6" model named "The Test") it was labeled 7' 1/2" (as in 7 feet one half inches, rather than 7 and one half feet)
- I know this is relatively small stuff in the big scheme of things, but these are Hardys for crying out loud...the model info is obviously hand painted by someone that does not have a grasp on the English language, since there is some challenge with the meaning of " and ' ....maybe no big deal, but Mr. Hardy is probably turning over in his grave...

Personally, I would get a Steffen or McFarland for a fiberglass 3wt, but that is just my humble opinion.

Good luck and I hope you get a small stream rod you really enjoy fishing!

Last edited by LeoCreek; 12-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.