The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM

thompson48 is on a distinguished road
Question New here

Hey Guys & girls, Hello and MERRY X-MAS,
A buddy gave me a fly rod that he never fished with, had it made about 20-30 years ago by a guy that is gone now, don't know much about fly fishing,I crappie & bass, But on the rod it has Fenwick , HGM BLANK , GFL 90-5 F,
Is this a 5wt. rod or something else ? it is a 3 pc rod , 2 rod & handle, ALSO THE ROD IS ABOUT 71/2 FT. LONG,The reel
is a UTICA REEL, On it "The Little Finger Does It", what wt. fly line , type line?would go on this set up to Fish Crappie/ Bass, or is this rod to light ?
anything is helpfull,
THANKS
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here

Take it to a local fly shop. Tell the shop employee what you want to do with it. He/she can tell you if it will work. Try a few demo fly lines to see which line will load up the rod properly. Keep in mind that you may want to upline to throw poppers.

Merry Christmas.

MP

Edit: Your rod is most likely a 5 weight. I read the "90" as 90" which is 7 1/2 feet. The "-5" probably refers to the line weight.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 12-17-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Hey Thanks ,thats alot more then I knew before.What do you mean by load up the rod?
By uplineing you go to a 6 wt. line?
Thanks

Don"t think there is a fly shop around here?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

thompson-

Welcome to the board, glad you found us. You should have a blast with that rod.

Back in the day, Fenwick was the bee's knees--- and those old rods still has a lot of fans (I still fish one I bought in the 70's).

It does sound like it's designed to throw a 5 weight line-- but as Mosca said it would be best if you could find a local fly shop (as opposed to a big box store) near by that will let you try a few lines (or have someone that knows how to fly cast test a few).

Let us know where you are-- folks might know a fly shop nearby that they could recommend-- and they'd probably be happy to take you out back and give you some casting help to get you started.

Otherwise, if you have to go blind-- I'd look for a "5 weight, weight forward taper, floating line" by a company like Scientific Anglers or Rio for about 30-40 bucks or so.

You'll get the most use out of a floating line, and the weight forward taper will help throw stuff like poppers a bit easier.

Keep asking questions as they come up-- there are plenty of folks here that can help get you off to a good start.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a teen in the 70's, and dreamed of being able to buy one of those
snazzy Fenwick rods. I remember it like yesterday.....

Mosca meant to load some line on the rod, kind of like "let's get packing".
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks, Live in north west alabama, Tuscumbia. don't know any fly fishing clubs around, Don't see any fishing around where I fish,Did try Flyfishing in Germany in the Army about 40 years ago around Bad Munster and St Wendel
on the NAHE river, Had alot of fun, had a fly rod & reel ,think my X still has all my stuff for old time , HA, Had a guy show me somethings about it he was real good , and I was young , so I didn"t learn much But I tried
But anyway thanks
And HAVE A MERRY X-MAS
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Thompson,

You may be interested in this link to the Federation of Fly Fishers (an international organization that promotes fly fishing) , with affiliated clubs in Birmingham and Huntsville (which maybe a bit closer to you).

It’s great organization that can help you get started on a good footing in your fly fishing career—they’re very welcoming to newbies, have group trips to local water and informative meetings and informal/formal casting and tying instruction etc. Here’s the link:

Locate a Club

Even if TVFF, the group in Huntsville, is too far away to make regular meetings, it still might be worth checking out-- they run trips to local waters, have day long clinics on weekends and special events etc-- and you'll be sure to meet some new fishing buddies.

Oh and as far as "loading the rod" and "up-lining" goes-- that refers to the fly line--

Unlike spinning or bait casting, where the weight of the lure (or plug, sinker etc) is used to cast and carries the light monofilament line out, in fly casting since the fly (essentially just a bit of hair and feathers on a hook) weighs nothing, it's the weight of the line that actually provides the momentum for the cast-- and the fly just goes along for the ride.

So a fly rod will perform best with a line that weighs "the correct amount" neither too light nor too heavy, to properly load the rod for the cast--- which is why you'd want to match up a "5 weight rod" with a "5 weight line" because it's designed to work with a five weight line.

"Overlining" refers to going up a size to a heavier weight line than the rating for the rod--- using a 6 weight line on a 5 weight rod for example. In some cases it might be advantageous, (for example a new caster with a stiff fast action graphite rod that bends only near the tip) but i think the action of your Fenwick is going to be comparatively slow (meaning it will bend further down along it's length) and be fine with a 5 weight line--- it should be a sweet casting and forgiving rod to learn on and fish with-- and as i say, a lot of folks (including me) still love their Fenwicks. I still use the 7 1/2' 6 weight I bought in the late 60's on small streams.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,
The fiberglass Fenwicks, at least those made after 1963 all had a 'FF' prefix
That includes both the popular Faralites and the more modern Fenglass

The HMG (high modulus graphite) is a nice quality graphite
The Utica reel is a low end, but handsome old automatic.

If it were me, I'd gladly use that rod, but I would replace the reel.
A Pflueger Medalist would do the job
$25, and it will last a lifetime
Cabela's -- Pflueger® 1400 and 1500 Series Medalist Fly Reels

Last edited by Rip Tide; 12-18-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Hey great about the club in Huntsville,Still about 90 miles, but will check them out,
and yes am thinking of a new reel, but X-mas is so close , maybe after the first of year