The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default St Croix 1106 Switch Rod

Anyone have any experience with this rod? How does it compare to an Echo?

Dan
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: St Croix 1106 Switch Rod

Hi Dan,

I have not cast the new rod or any Spey style rod. I do have a story to tell that may give you something to think about.

The Switch rod is intended for single handed and double handed casting. In Alaska I had an 8wt 9'6" rod made with a long fighting butt. It ended up looking just like the grips on a switch rods. This was before I knew anything about switch rods but thought the long fighting butt grip would be better for fighting Salmon. I never thought about casting double handed. I found the long fighting butt to be a pain and just felt terrible casting one handed. I eventually cut the fighting grip off and made a normal fighting butt.

You might find casting a switch rod with one hand no problem but I just didn't like it. If you bought a switch rod for your kind of fishing I would just use the double grip and use Spey style cast or double over hand cast. Maybe someone with some experience with a switch rod can give you a more informed reply.

Frank

St Croix Imperial Rods (Switch Rod on Bottom)
Click the image to open in full size.