The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Spey/switch ?'s please help

I need some advice about what would be my best bet, Im looking for a 7wt setup for steelies. Also im not wanting or needing to cast 100ft, maybe 80 max, ohio rivers aint that big. In alot of spots you need to get out a ways but no backcasting room with a single handed rod. I really want something I can either pick line of the water and roll/spey cast it out. Ive been doing alot of research about this alot of situations and setup I read about are for cast 100+ ft. Also is there away to acheive what im looking for without spending over $100 for line??? By the way Im wanting to nymph with it and wanting to use floating line, any info will be appreciated, thanks!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey/switch ?'s please help

There are a lot of good rods. For a premium rod, I like the Sage Z-Axis. For a price point, I like the Beulah Switch. I'm sure that there are other models out there that could be a fit for you.

You may want to have a spare spool for your reel since you will need at least two lines. Your Spey line should be a shorter Scandi or Skagit style line depending on how you want to cast. You will need to pick up some 10 foot Polyleaders for these lines. Your other line will be your nymph line. Get a Steelhead taper that is 3 line sizes over. The extra mass is used to turn over indobobber, weight, and nymph rigs. For a 7 weight switch rod, you will need a WF10F.

Plan on spending some money on these lines. The Beulah Elixir (Scandi) and the Beulah Tonic (Skagit) lines run about $72. After you buy some Polyleaders (about $12.95 each), you will get over $100. Rio's AFS and Skagit Short lines are $100 each without any Polyleaders.

If you want versatility out of the Spey style setup, get the shooting head version of the lines. That will allow you to switch between Scandi and Skagit style casting. You can use the same Polyleaders.

MP

Note: Polyleader is an Airflo product. It is a coated leader that is attached to the head of the line. Polyleaders are available in floating to super duper fast sinking densities. Rio's version of the Polyleader is the Versileader.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spey/switch ?'s please help

Thanks for all the info, its very helpfull