The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM

subvaria59 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage blank ID?

The rod is custom but I was told it's a Sage blank. It's a rich olive color I guess somewhat similar to the Flight series but more green and less brown. The rod is at least 6 years old. Any thoughts?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Zippo@no4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage blank ID?

looks the same colour as my sage slt's with different coloured thread, but every custom sage i have ever seen in the uk has sage and model name and length and # rating and pieces of blank on it and the letter B to say it was sold as a blank only, hope this helps you, things may be different in the usa, that i dont know about...
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

i dont know but that's a very sweet looking custom
Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaning toward a Sage SLT. If the blank is truly a Sage, it would be stamped "Sage SLTb."

I like the rod wrapping.

MP
Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Zippo@no4 is on a distinguished road

if it is an slt it will be one sweet rod
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have a custom wrapped Sage from the late 70's. It is a RPL blank and has no markings on it. It is the same blank as some of my other RPL factory rods. I bought the blank my self from Kaufmann's in Oregon and carried it back to Alaska.

Frank
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree the finish looks most like a SLT, but here's the thing- If you look at the top section in the second pic, the reinforcing wraps at the ferrule have the exact same color over them as the unwrapped portion above it. This tells me they either did a remarkable job getting a paint that matched the existing color on the blank, or they painted the whole damn thing.

If the latter is the case, it could be anything. (And I have no idea why one would do such a thing to a Sage blank anyway)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I examined the first picture again. It looks like the fancy wrapping is right above the rod grip. That wrapping would cover any markings.

It could be any rod. If it is a Sage, I'd lean towards an SLT if the rod builder is honest about the blank's age.

MP