The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default 4 wt or 5 wt...how much of a diffrence

lookin for some info.....looking to get a new trout rod here sometime soon and not sure if i need to go with a 4wt or a 5 wt or if there is going to be that much of a diffrence in the 2....gonna be used primarily for trout only....i have a 8'6" 3wt now so was leanin pretty much to the 5wt....anyone got any opinions one over the other
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 wt or 5 wt...how much of a diffrence

I have two rods of the same model, one is 4wt and the other 5wt. The 4wt
lands line very delicately, and can be used as an all-around rod. The 5wt
throws line with greater authority (very noticeable), but landing line softly
requires a bit more focus. If I had to take just one, and didn't know the stream or weather, it would be the 5wt.

EDIT: I've been able to use most of my rods with one size up and down from the listed line on the rod. I have succesfully
cast all of my 5wt's with a 4wt and 6wt line, with very good results. You might be able to cast a 4wt with your 3wt rod,
so I'd go with the 5wt for that reason.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Frank 100%...........go with the 5 wt.

Larry
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

I have a 7.5 ft full flex 3wt and a 9 ft mid flex 5wt, and they are very different rods (which is the point). Although you will be able to discern the difference between a 3 wt and 4 wt (more so if the rod/line characteristics are similar: flex, length and type of line), you would most likely prefer a rod that significantly different. The 5 wt rod should provide that different level of performance; of course, some would say that you should consider a 6 wt. FWIW, I have a 3 and 5 wt for trout and panfish, and I have a 9 wt for saltwater and big fresh water species (salmon, steelhead, bass and pike). If I buy another rod, it will most likely be a 1 wt.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are great differences between trades and models,5wt 4 wt what does it mean?.For instance I use my Scott G2 905(5wt) with a 4wt,my G955(5wt) with a thin parallel line...but my E2 955(5wt) can be used with a 6 wt line without a problem.A fast action 5 wt will be better on a windy day...I fished a friend's TCX 9' (4wt)...it could cast a 6 lineSo try rods and find the one you feel at ease with in usual conditions...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

I have a 7'6" forecast 3wt, redfly2 8'6" 5wt and a modified st. croix low end 8-9' 5 wt. just yard casting i like the 3wt the best because i like how it loads with 4wt line. now i hate the redfly 2 with a passion, but i like my step father's 9' 5wt redfly 1. maybee it's because i bought a 6" too short rod or maybee i like the slower tapers. maybe if i went 1-2 line's heavier i might like it or maybe not.
thing is if your fishing larger trout in the 16 and up range go for the 5 wt bass, ect. ect. go five or maybe 6wt. do not let the line weight as posted on the rod be the breaking point in a rod, if the fish will be bigger go with the 5 wt. if the river is larger go with a longer, if your fishing a medium to large river with smaller to medium sized trout go with a 4wt 9- 9'6" rod able to punch flies in the wind, but land small dries subtly into spooky fish, slow action= subtle with a lesser ability in the wind, slow action = very subtle but not the ass to punch bugs into breezes (pardon my english) like others have said test cast rods and ask for insight as to the waqter you will be fishing
i want a winston BIIX 9' 4wt for the big horn MT. but i go there 2 weeks a year, is it worth it? not to me but it may bee to you if you see a use for that type of rod more than I. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

There are a lot out there that start with a 4w rod, then get a 6w, then an 8w.
Some start with a 3w, go up to a 5w, then a 7w. Either odd or even weights.

Then when you're completely obsessed, you'll have a 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8 weight rods.

For now, it depends on the waters you fish. 1st rod I'd say a 5w. It can handle most river situations and lakes.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Luke,

Since you have your 8'6" 3wt I would go for a 9' 5wt. The 5wt would give you a bigger boost in performance over the 3wt. It would be a better rod for nymph fishing and other sub-surface fishing.

Frank
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

I have a 6wt and am looking to go with a 4wt or 5wt. Would a 4wt be able to handle nymph and streamer fishing? I would most likely use this rod for dries but for those times the wife might want to come with and the fish are down low I would need to use this rod for nymphing.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: 4 wt or 5 wt...how much of a diffrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I agree with Frank 100%...........go with the 5 wt.

Larry
+1 here. Unless there's a darned good reason, having every rod you could (by the numbers) has brought very little to my Party. Now go by 'odd numbers' up to a 5, you'll get 'bank for your buck.' That said, can having 'even number rod's' bring something to the Party?

Without question: Yes, but you'd have to be into very gentle (or should that be 'genteel?') casting of tiny flies on spring creeks.

Just my .02 cents.