The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM

alcorn is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought my first new fly rod... need some advice

Hello all,
I've been reading the post on here for a while so I hope you guys can help steer me in the right direction. I've been serious about fly fishing for about a year and a half. I've got an orvis 6wt silver series that belongs to my father that I've been using with the eventual goal of getting an 8wt this year. I fish mainly for smallmouth bass. Anyway, my girlfriend's father and I were at a fly show a few weeks ago and he showed me the Redington Classic Trout rods. And I liked em. And for only $130 I like em a lot. So on an impulse I bought a 6pc 5wt because it seemed to have a slower action than the others and I cast better with a slow action rod. Truth be told I really couldn't get a good feel for the rod while at the show and I've been very nervous about it because I honestly liked the way the 4wt cast over my 5wt. The guy at orvis suggested that I may possibly want to overline it to make it slower. I just tried it with a 6 wt line and I love the way this 5wt handles heavier line. My question is, could I hurt the rod if I over line it with the 6wt line or a front tapered 5wt line such as a Rio Grande line? Or do you guys have any suggestions on with way to go on lines to look at or even reels? I've only used orvis battin kill reels so far so I'm open to branching out even though I do really like em. Lastly, what do you all hear about the redington CT line?
Thanks
Alcorn
Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just bought my first new fly rod... need some advice

I don't think you will hurt your rod by overlining it...this might be true....long ago...not with modern carbon fly rods
Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You won't hurt it at all. It might be a true 6 weight. Asian rods can go either way to me.
I like the 1/2 size heavier lines too like the Grande, or GPX. and I fish full flex and glass.

It sounds like you might like glass rods too, if you like the slower action.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I like the 1/2 size heavier lines too like the Grande, or GPX. and I fish full flex and glass.
I bet that matches your "bodacious" casting style!

MP
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I bet that matches your "bodacious" casting style!

MP
I forgot about my bodacious style, but you know....I think you are right.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its quite possible that all the ferrules on that rod stiffen it beyond what was intended for the 4pc, and thus a 6wt line is needed to load it properly. Modern rod design generally allows for ferrules not to interfere with rod action, but a 6pc rod under $200 might be an exception.

Its also possible your casting stroke is just better suited to fuller flexing rods, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that. In many ways they're more versatile than broomsticks. With a 6wt line, you may have an ideal small stream bass rod, and you can stick a 5wt on it if you need to make longer casts with dries.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.