The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Zippo@no4 is on a distinguished road
Question Xp v z axis

hi, do any of you have xp's and the z axis in the same line rating and length, if so what differences do you find between the two and is the z a better rod and in what way ?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xp v z axis

Keith,
I owned XP rods since day one of the release. I now own Z-Axis rods in the 590-4, 691-4, and the 6110-4 models.

The quick answer is that the better rod is the one that will feel better to the caster. Each person will have a reason to like one better than the other.

The Z-Axis is lighter and has a softer tip than the XP. Both rods are still considered fast action rods. Someone who is used to casting an XP will have to back off the forward stroke a tad.

MP
Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM

i have heard people say that the z axis feels a stronger rod, do you find this ?? my sage dealer is willing to send me one to try, its just good to get feedback from others first
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Keith,
I won't say if the Z-Axis feels like a stronger rod. Both rods have plenty of butt strength to put the hurt onto a fish.

The biggest difference that I feel is in the casting. If you can match your casting stroke with the Z-Axis, you will feel that you can generate more line speed than that of the XP with less effort.

MP
Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I feel a sadness at the loss of the XP model in the Sage line. I like to push a little with a rod tip, and the Z is softer for sure. Is this bad? Mosca said it, depends on the user.
I guide with both models, and switch out with clients, and most never notice. I like a fast action rod for long distance, wind, bobbers, and big flies. I think the Z is a fine rod, but does it replace the XP? I don't think it does. If you need the speed, the TCX may be a better call. If you only cast dries the Z works great. I've heard Cabelas bought the XP from Sage, so you might still buy one if need be.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 08-01-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM

im a lot happier now because i just found and bought a new factory built 10 foot 5# xp, i have been after one for 18 months...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Glad you scored, let us know how it works out. The 10 ft. model is sweet on our water, allowing a mend "out there". I jumped up to a 11ft 6wt Z switch, and now mend waaay out there! Love it.

Bigfly
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Glad you scored, let us know how it works out. The 10 ft. model is sweet on our water, allowing a mend "out there". I jumped up to a 11ft 6wt Z switch, and now mend waaay out there! Love it.
Bigfly: Do you notice any real difference in arm fatigue while holding the 11 ft rod thru the course of a days fishing?

Larry
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

thats why i only use 4# and 5# up to 10 foot, 6#and 7# up to 9.6 foot, any more in length the higher line weights aggravates my arthritis in my spine, making me tire quick, that means less fishing
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Larry, sorry I didn't get back to ya. I have old guy shoulders. Being able to single, or two hand it, is really nice. The Sage switch is very light, and no problem, I can fish all day.
On med, to larger waters I rarely fish anything else. I can cover more water, more easily than I can with a 9-10 ft. rod. I recommend an on water test drive.

Bigfly