The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default question on flex rateings

ok so here pretty soon im gonna be getting me a new rod and reel setup....im courious on the flex of them......from a beginners aspect is what im wondering about....i have been looking pretty hard at the Orvis line of rods the clearwater in particular since it is in the price range im lookin for.....will a beginner be better off with a moderate action rod vs a slow or fast rod?

reason i ask is today was the first time in 5 years that i have picked up a floy rod to fish....went to the trout park here and i did "ok" as far as casting goes...the rod i have is a 3wt so i know im not going to get no super distance and also being a beginner i know i wont either...but i was fighting the wind a little and that was pretty tough with the 3wt...so im wanting to go with a 5wt 9' rod....today when i had little to no wind i was makin some decent length casts in the 30'-40' range or so which i was really tickled with but it does seem that i think the 3wt rod i have now is a little on the fast side jsut going by how the rod flexes....with that in mind is why i thought a moderate flex would suit me best...i did notice sometimes that i was having a little trouble knowing when the rod loaded on the backcast if i would really concentrate i did ok with it......so my question after all this rambling is would a beginner be better off with a moderate flex over the slow or fast.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question on flex rateings

A lot of the "experts" lean towards medium fast (moderate). They feel that it helps the inexperienced casters feel the rod load more which will help them develop a tempo.

MP
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with MP...but even experienced fishermen enjoy medium fast rods...and a faster rod should be more efficient when it's windy...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm........ It might be tough to feel a 3wt load in general, but looking
back will help with any weight rod. Allowing your arm/wrist to drift a bit on
the forward/back cast will make that "tug" more difficult to discern, but you
will at least have a visual clue on the foward cast. It took forever to coax my
wife into watching her back cast, but when she did, she developed a weird
habit of allowing her entire upper body and head to drift back with the back
cast. Her head looked like a Pez dispenser. ! Make sure that your
stop is really a stop in both directions, and you should be able to get better
feedback from your rod and line.

Flex: Does your 3wt feel stiff, or does it whip back and forth quickly? Stiff
might mean that a 4wt would work better for now. Slower rods can feel
very whippy, while stiff rods take quite an effort to bend when wiggling without a line on them. What you want to look for is how the rod bends
under pressure, even slight pressure. You can hold the rod by the grip, and
set the tip on the floor. A stiff/fast rod will bend slightly near the tip, but the
rest of the rod will remain straight. A slower rod will bend further toward the
middle, and perhaps well into the butt of the rod. Apply more pressure while
the tip is on the floor (not concrete ), and you'll be able to see how the
rod will bend while casting. A stiff/fast rod will continue to resist bending
into the mid section, while a moderate action rod will bend deep into the mid section. A lot of people like to wiggle rods in the store, but I use the method
I just outlined.

A 3wt would not be my first choice for single rod. 5wt's are much better for
that, and will cast well in wind and with heavy flies.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Agree with MP...but even experienced fishermen enjoy medium fast rods...and a faster rod should be more efficient when it's windy...
I'm glad that you agreed with me on something.

After a caster becomes proficient with a tempo, it's easy to adjust that tempo for a faster or slower action.

I prefer medium fast actions for presentation rods (3 and 4 weights in my quiver).

I prefer fast action for my other rods (5 weight and up in my quiver).

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use rods of different flexes. When I want to make long casts, especially into the wind, I use a fast rod. When I'm fishing for bass and need help setting the hook I also use a fast rod. When I'm fishing small streams with thin leaders I use a slow rod. On bigger rivers I tend to use a moderate-fast rod, unless I'm casting big streamers. Then I might go to a faster rod.

I believe the fishing situation, as much as our casting ability, should determine the flex we choose.

Randy