The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some advise from the Cane guys

Hi All,

As if I don't have enough rod building projects on the bench, I'm considering restoring a bamboo rod. Other than for the experience is a Horrocks Ibbotson worth the restoration efforts?

Thank
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advise from the Cane guys

I would say yes, but not all H-I rods were created equal
All things considered, shorter is better than longer. I have a 9' H-I 'Governor' that was my grandfather's, that's way back on my list of projects
This will give you a clue as to the value of the different rods.

http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/top...-Ibbotson-Rods
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

If it turns an otherwise usless rod into a useable rod...I'd say yes.

If you're looking for it to increase in value...Sorry, but I can not help in that area.

I myself have an old boo that I'm going to refinish, just haven't found the time yet...I picked mine up at an auction for a cheap price years ago so I'm not worried about ruining a family earloom or decreasing the value at all.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I picked it up at a yard sale for $4 last weekend. Figured it would look good on the wall if nothing else. Of course now that it's been sitting on my bench for a few days I'm thinking I'll string it up with a few lines this weekend and see how it casts. This is EXACTLY what I needed, another avenue to drive my sickness down...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi chaser,

I have restored / upgraded a few rods but none were H&I rods. Without getting too technical it is hard to begin to explain the process without writing at least a chapter regarding the process. For starters you need to determine the line weight that the rod was meant to be used with. If there are any line guides on the rod it is easy enough to test casting performance.

The procedures for restoration vary depending who is giving the instructions but if you determine that the rod is one you would like to bring back you are welcome to contact me and I will share what I have been taught about restoration with you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi chaser,

I have restored / upgraded a few rods but none were H&I rods. Without getting too technical it is hard to begin to explain the process without writing at least a chapter regarding the process. For starters you need to determine the line weight that the rod was meant to be used with. If there are any line guides on the rod it is easy enough to test casting performance.

The procedures for restoration vary depending who is giving the instructions but if you determine that the rod is one you would like to bring back you are welcome to contact me and I will share what I have been taught about restoration with you.

Ard
Thanks Ard,
I'm not too worried about this rod. Wraps are fairly tight, all the guides are there and I don't see any splits in the cane. It's appears to be fishable the way it is but I have to tinker with everything of course.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If there's finish missing, you're going to want to spar varnish the rod before using. Wet bamboo can rot, exposed wraps will fray
If the finish is "alligatored" or just tacky/dirty you can lightly wipe it down with some paint thinner and it will look good as new.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If there's finish missing, you're going to want to spar varnish the rod before using. Wet bamboo can rot, exposed wraps will fray
If the finish is "alligatored" or just tacky/dirty you can lightly wipe it down with some paint thinner and it will look good as new.
That's exactly what I needed to hear. My thought process now goes like this:
If I'm going to refinish, I might as well rewrap
If I'm going to rewrap I might as well replace the guides
and I haven't even gotten to the real seat and grip yet. I love this hobby!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi swirlchaser,

Sounds like a fun project. You need to be careful about what Spar Varnish you use. They all give a little different look when dry. Some darken wood quite a bit. The most water resistant will not have a linseed oil base. To make it even harder to choose, the different companies change the formulas every now and then. So what worked in years past may not be as good today. I would find out what currant rod finishers are using.

Frank
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM

This is going to be the most expensive and time cunsuming $4 rod I've ever owned!