The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Experiences with a Pflueger Trion series rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/1262-experiences-pflueger-trion-series-rod.html)

Canuck2fan 07-02-2006 10:50 PM

Experiences with a Pflueger Trion series rod

I am just getting into fly fishing and am really torn between a St. Croix premier 9ft 6wt rod and a Pflueger Trion 9ft 6wt. Everyone around here likes the name St. Croix but are not familiar with the Trions... Any insights would be appreciated.

Fish Bones 07-04-2006 10:59 AM

I'd have to go with the St. Croix

Curtis 07-04-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Experiences with a Pflueger Trion series rod

Pflueger makes a good rod. They have been around a long time and are decent. They do not though put the technology and time into them that St. Croix does and do not carry the warranty. The Pflueger will be a perfectly servicable rod that will catch fish just fine but they really are not in the league with Croix.

dougm 07-05-2006 03:08 PM

Recommend the St. Croix ... The name Pflueger has been around forever, but not the company. The name has been sold several times...

Doug

Canuck2fan 07-05-2006 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. The price of the St. Croix is double the price of the Pflueger which I am fine with as it does include a carrying case (although the store says it is just el cheapo plastic and not really suitable for anything but keeping the rod in a closet) and it definitely has the better warranty.

The one thing I am not too happy about is the only St. Croix available to me locally is the 4 piece model. Which I don't see as a plus like some would. I am a great believer in the old adage the more pieces the less sensitive the rod. Now, If I was planning on backpacking it might interest me but my sleeping on the ground out in the bush days are long past.... So in short 4 pieces in my mind equals only 2 more pieces to have problems with by breaking them or even worse losing one of them LOL.

I guess I will have to seriously think about risking ordering something I haven't actually held in my hands online to get what I want. The sad part is that will end up costing me about 25% more than buying locally for either the Pflueger or the 2 piece St. Croix.

freeze69 07-05-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck2fan
Thanks for the replies. The price of the St. Croix is double the price of the Pflueger which I am fine with as it does include a carrying case (although the store says it is just el cheapo plastic and not really suitable for anything but keeping the rod in a closet) and it definitely has the better warranty.The one thing I am not too happy about is the only St. Croix available to me locally is the 4 piece model. Which I don't see as a plus like some would. I am a great believer in the old adage the more pieces the less sensitive the rod. Now, If I was planning on backpacking it might interest me but my sleeping on the ground out in the bush days are long past.... So in short 4 pieces in my mind equals only 2 more pieces to have problems with by breaking them or even worse losing one of them LOL.I guess I will have to seriously think about risking ordering something I haven't actually held in my hands online to get what I want. The sad part is that will end up costing me about 25% more than buying locally for either the Pflueger or the 2 piece St. Croix.

if you are worried about buying online talk to steve at THE FULL CREEL. i'm pretty sure he will make you more than happy with your purchase. i just bought a outfit from him a couple of weeks ago. if it wasn't for the fact i wanted the rod by the weekend shipping would've been free. and then there's the 21 day test drive plan. no shop that i know of will give you a offer like this. take my word on this call him up or pm him and see what he can do for you.

p.s. the outfit i got was $100 less through him than ordering from a major retailer.

Fish Bones 07-05-2006 08:41 PM

Yea... I'll take extra good care of you... even though I'm a Stars fan :grin:

I'll throw in a good cordura covered rod tube NC with the 2pc rod.

Canuck2fan 07-06-2006 10:30 PM

Steve- I will definitely keep your most generous offer in mind before I purchase a rod. I am just too busy right now to head to store than has a decent selection so I can actually handle some of the rods I hear great things about. The one store that has more than 3 rods around here carries only a couple of rods that are less than 150.00 bucks. The rest are over 250.00 which is more than I want to spend for something I will probably only use 5 to 10 times a year...

BTW the name Canuck2fan does not mean that I like the Canucks hockey team. I used that name when I raced online in a Nascar racing league to denote that I was Canadian or Canuck and a Rusty Wallace fan.....

The Stars are a great team and for a long time were a team I followed with interest due to the number of former players from my favorite team the Montreal Canadiens who played and managed in Dallas.